Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Removed Explorer From Zonealarm Program Control

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

I recently did a database reset in Zone Alarm and when I went to Windows Update in IE (I normally use Firefox, only IE for Windows Update site), I saw that ZA automatically added IE and Explorer to the Program Control (it did not ask me). I *think* they all had green checks all the way across all four columns. So I changed all the IE ones to "?-Ask" and changed the Explorer ones to a green check, ?-Ask, then two red X's. Then:

When I had Windows Update check my computer to see what updates I needed, it said I had to update some of the components of Windows Update, and it listed this: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130). However, I already have this thing listed as being installed back in Feb.

I thought maybe that because I did a database reset in ZA, it was someone not seeing that I already had this...? (Note: I have since heard that ZA should have no bearing on Windows Updates)

So just to try something, I REMOVED Explorer and IE from the Program Control in ZA. When I removed Explorer, I got the ZA warning message that this was a System Program and removing it could cause problems, etc. etc. -- but I went ahead and removed it (assuming that it would get added back when I went back to Windows Update, as I thought that's how ZA works).

So I went back to Windows Update, and IE got added back to ZA (of course), and the same thing came up saying I needed to install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) in order to use Windows Update. HOWEVER, Explorer did not get added back to ZA's Program Control.

1. So would it ONLY get added back to Program Control *if/when* it had to access the internet? When I use other programs that don't access the Internet (like Word, Excel, Roxio), they are not added to ZA Program Control.

2. But why did it need access the first time at Windows Update, but not the second time after I went back once I removed it?

3. And if it should have been added back, does that mean something is wrong?

Thanks, as always! I appreciate all the help this board gives me (and being able to post my plethora of questions and actually get answers to them!). :flowers:

:thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

UPDATE

Here is what I'm pretty sure is exactly what I did:

1. I went to Windows Update with IE. Since I recently did a database reset in ZA 7.0.302 FREE, I kept on eye on Program Control to see what would get added.

2. As the Windows Update page was loading up, WINDOWS EXPLORER was added to the Program Control, with (*I believe*) these settings:
A green check for Access-Trusted, Access-Internet, & Server-Trusted, and a ?-Ask for Server-Internet.

3. Windows Update site came up in IE on the page where you choose if you want to do "Express" or "Custom" updates. *BEFORE* I chose anything, I *CHANGED* the settings for WINDOWS EXPLORER in ZA Program Control to the following:

A green check for Access-Trusted (left as is), a ?-Ask for Access-Internet, and a X-Block for *both* Server-Trusted and Server-Internet

I did this per instructions told to me on the ZA forum that this is the proper/safest setting for Windows Explorer (at least, *I think* that's the settings I changed it to at this point).

4. *THEN* I clicked the "Custom" button -- the Windows Update site checked my computer, then came back with "To use this latest version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade some of its components." and prompting me to install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) -- which, as I stated, I already have back from Feb.

5. Then I totally removed Windows Explorer from Program Control, cleared the cache in IE, went back to Windows Updates, let it do it's thing again to see if Windows Explorer would either come back to Program Control (and I could leave it as is) and/or if that prompt to install KB892130 before I could get any further went away... But it all stayed the same: Explorer did not come back to Program Control and it still wants me to install KB892130 (again) before any Windows Updates come up...

So my *theory* is that by changing the settings for Windows Explorer in Program Control *before* clicking the "Custom" button at Windows Updates to let it check my computer, etc. somehow blocked Windows Update site from using Windows Explorer on my laptop to see that I already have KB892130 and now it wants me to install it again (which I'm afraid will cause issues). I'm also fearful that it won't see all the other updates that I already have from the past five months, etc.

So does that seem possible? Or is my theory just impossible? (Which I'm hoping that's the case and this is normal! But Woodstock not already having that KB# and it asking him to install it and me ALREADY having it and it asking me leads me to at least suspect something is up...)

And if it is possible, what can I do about it to make it right?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

This doesn't seem to be the case, at least not in this instance. I was told on the ZA board that it's a new version of KB892130. I did Windows Updates with no issues.

#4 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:37 PM

The validation tool itself needs to be updated regularly. Has nothing to do with ZA.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

Yeah, I saw that... thanks though. It was a new version (and I had never installed the version that was optional that you had to agree to a LA for), so this superseded that and was mandatory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users