Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macrovision Software Manager

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

I have an HP Pavilion a1220n desktop with Windows XP SP2. I have this software manager disabled, but I am wondering if I can get rid of it completely. I believe that it came already installed on the PC out of the box. Of all the programs on my PC, this "manager" checks for updates for only one: My Sonic DigitalMedia Plus, which also came with the PC.

I have never once seen an update for this program, and am convinced that I never will. (I have had this PC for almost two years.)

I do not see this Software Manager listed in Add/Remove Programs,and if I can safely get rid of it, I am wondering how to go about doing so.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

EDIT: I do see "Sonic Update Manager" in Add/Remove Programs, But I don't know if it is the same thing. The name of the manager is different. I am leery of uninstalling it, though, as I use my Sonic program, and I don't want to render it unusable.

Edited by rlprlp, 10 June 2007 - 02:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,008 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

Tens of thousands of software publishers and hundreds of Fortune 1000 companies use Macrovision technologies to maximize the value of their software.

Macrovision's Software Technologies Group markets the FLEXnet universal licensing platform, repackaging and update solutions and the InstallShield setup authoring tools, which are deployed on more than 500 million desktops worldwide. With the acquisition of InstallShield, Macrovision's Software Alliance is now comprised of broader group of partners that work with Macrovision to deliver solutions around the Software Value Management platform

Quote taken from the http://www.macrovision.com/partners/alliance/index.shtml website

I would be very leery of uninstalling it, unless you know precisely which software it will affect.

Be (uninstall) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

Thank you for the information, Animal. I will leave it be. It has a drop-down list within it that only shows the one program (Sonic), but perhaps it is doing more. Although, I don't know how it could be, as I have had it disabled for well over a year now... One less process in the task manager. (Actually, if I recall correctly, it may have even been two.)

#4 lasermike

lasermike

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

Greetings,

I find your comments of interest because I have been trying to remove this Installshield-Flexnet-Macrovision-Software Manager for awhile. All I can say is the thing is USELESS and an irritation. I have other descriptions but I don't want to use them on this board. I have this on 4 computers. It comes up and says it has an update and when I click yes download the update the bottom half is always blank. There is never an update. This happens on all 4 computers each for different softwares. Some of these have different broadband providers so they are not even on the same network. On one it is for ScanSoft Pdf converter then on another it has been for CorelDraw X3. This drives me crazy. I want it off all my computers. Somebody by now must have figured out how to do this. I sure would like to hear from them. I say shame to the software companies that are using this worthless piece of software. I think I am going to write to them next. I have been putting up with this for a long time now and just don't want to put up with it any more. Please help me if you can remove this or disable it. Thank you for letting me vent.

Laser Mike

Edited by KoanYorel, 13 March 2008 - 08:03 AM.
To remove commercial URL

#5 lasermike

lasermike

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:41 PM

I wasn't expecting such a quick reply. Don't the readers of this site have jobs? I am teasing because I was tickled that emails started popping up at work from one of the sites I work on. I used the link sent and it told me this program has now been removed. So I will not send disgusted emails to the software companies. The link is on this page:

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=q111006

Use the uninstall link at the bottom of the page. Later I'll run the software I downloaded on all the other computers. It is just frustrating when these companies give you software that doesn't work. It is surprising that they don't even know that yet.

Thanks for your help your comments here helped me get this solution.

Take care,

Laser Mike

Edited by KoanYorel, 13 March 2008 - 08:04 AM.
To remove commercial URL

#6 onegear

onegear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

Had a bit of trouble with the link above - it now seems to re-direct to a blank page on the macrovision site! Not sure if the blank page is just a problem I'm having but to get around it I copied the link, searched for it in Google and opened up the cached version of the page from there. Not sure how long the cached page will be available but if you have the same problem give it a try.

#7 Inq_PL

Inq_PL

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

I tried this link and folowed the uninstall but when i click the icon on my startup menu i can still open that manager...it is really annoying..i have so many softs that are simply junk..i just got my laptop today so..:flowers:...yeah it's hp as well :D:Plet me know how else i can remove it :thumbsup:
Inq_PL

#8 Inq_PL

Inq_PL

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:08 PM

also if anyone can help me with how to remove windows mail , windows calendar. w contacts w. photo gallery etc???
Inq_PL

#9 flarg

flarg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

I tried this link and folowed the uninstall but when i click the icon on my startup menu i can still open that manager...it is really annoying..i have so many softs that are simply junk..i just got my laptop today so..:thumbsup:...yeah it's hp as well :D:Plet me know how else i can remove it :flowers:

article has moved here:

http://knowledge.macrovision.com/selfservi...6&sliceId=1

#10 Deltaforce229

Deltaforce229

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

I hate bumping old topics but has anyone found a solution? None of those links work for me.

#11 Draish

Draish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

I have an HP DV9700 and have been irritated by this issue for a while. I could not find a way to un-install the "Software Manager" program, but I did find a way to disable it. Evidently it is a task that is kicked off by the DigitalPersona fingerprint reader software that is running on my machine. This is what I did:

Right click on the DigitalPersona icon in the system tray
Left click Properties
Select the Automatic Updates tab
Un-check the "Check for updates every ___ days" tab.

This worked for me, I hope this helps.

#12 barngal

barngal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

I have the Software Unistaller program on my computer, and I can't get rid of it.
I'm running XP on a Dell,
but it installed when I installed Blackberry on my computer. I installed it at work also. No longer using Blackberry.

This program intereferes with my windows installer program, so I can't unistall anything with my Windows installer.
And the Software Manager program doesn't unistall ANYTHING, its not functional

I can't isntall Adobe 8 properly, because I can't uninstall the previous edition or something. EVERY time I open a doc that Adobe, my computer hangs.

I have searched the web and can't find a way to get rid of this junky software.
My work HIS support was able to help me unistall the program at work, but the link they sent me isn't working on my home computer.

I've been searching to get rid of this and nothing has worked
Do you have a suggestion? I find nothing at the company's web site either
I'm new to this site, and hoping someone can please help

#13 juliesc

juliesc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

I found this.... http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/self...6&sliceId=1
don't use the first link as it is for INSTALLING. The second link appears to disable the product and apparently does not actually uninstall files. At least the annoying little booger will not keep doing its annoying little popping up all of the time!!

#14 idratherbegardening

idratherbegardening

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:14 AM

I wanted to stop the InstallShield Update Manager Service because two processes (agent.exe and ISUSPM.exe) were consuming up to 50% of my CPU. They can't be stopped, or renamed or removed while the PC is running, and they kick off at start-up. You could try booting into safe mode with minimum processes running, but I did it by booting from a second copy of Windows (XP) on another partition, then cutting & pasting the two exe's to a safe location. Since then I have all my CPU, and if anything complains I can think about looking for updates manually. there seems to be some possibility of viruses hijacking these proceses, so I'm keeping a lookout for them re-appearing.

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

It could be some program that you have, trying to update
Better way to disable is to use Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users