Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen With Windows Xp.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Smurfette752

Smurfette752

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:26 PM

My computer will not start, It has the windows XP start up screen, but then it goes to this I get on the dreaded BLUE SCREEN: It tells me…

“Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation, or back-up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.”

Unfortunately, I am unable to do any of this, because I get this every time I turn on the computer, and can do nothing further. The technical information displayed at the bottom of the blue screen is as follows:

“*** STOP: 0X 00000024 (0X00190203, 0X81B00610, 0XC0000102, 0X00000000)”

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers:

It is driving me NUTS!!! :thumbsup: It is a Dell Inspiron 6000

Edited by jgweed, 28 May 2007 - 07:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

Have you tried starting up the PC without being connected to the internet? And putting in a startup disk that you hopefully made? I wonder if you ran out of space on your hard drive... If you don't have a start up disk, I happen to have "Partition Commander" which works. I wonder if youmight have another software that you can put in the tray? Bleeping has a long list of freebies that have been tried and tested by the team. Good luck.

If you have Windows One Care or Defender installed, then Microsoft will help you for free.
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#3 Smurfette752

Smurfette752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

Well, unfortunately I did not make a disk! I'm a dumba**!!! I ordered them though...
And it isn't connected to the internet...it is a laptop and isn't directly plugged in, just a wireless...I will try another disk of some kind! :thumbsup:

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

Have you tried to boot in safe mode. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
MCP
MSDST

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

Link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24

From reading it, you can see that this is a problem with your hard drive. If you have data on it that you want to save, I'd suggest working on that BEFORE you start trying to repair the error.

The first step is:

I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities.

You'll be able to do this if you can boot into Safe Mode or the Recovery Console.

Then, I'd suggest downloading a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive and running that - if it says the drive is dead or dying, then it's time for a new hard drive and those disks that you ordered will come in handy.

If the disk passes the manufacturer's diagnostic, then I'd suggest booting from the recovery CD's to see if you can repair (not reinstall) the installation. You may be able to save your data this way
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 Smurfette752

Smurfette752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

I can not get to SafeMode....I have tried everything.....I can not get past the blue screen!!!
I do have data on it that I want to recover! Is it possible to get to the recovery console? Is this different from SafeMode!?

Thanks!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:10 AM

You can enter the recovery console by booting from the XP installation CD and selecting Repair using the Recovery Console.

But, that won't be an easy way to recover your data (if it is recoverable). To do that you'd have to boot from a CD that supports writing to your CD drive - or slave the hard drive to another computer to try and recover your data.

You can try these free utilities to see if they'll boot your system and enable writing to the CD:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users