Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

None Of My Exe Files Will Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJRSXS

DJRSXS

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Hi all, just wanted to see if anybody here might be able to help me out seeing as I've tried EVERYTHING I could find on the internet regarding this matter. I'm running XP SP1

Problem - None of my .exe files work at all. Whenever I try to open them, I get a message saying it cannot find the program to make it work and then asks me to select one, or it does nothing at all. I can get certain programs to run by selecting start-run-insert command here, then when the program list pops up, just selecting the .exe file that I want to run and it will work. I also cannot open a command prompt.

Things I've already tried - I've done some research on the internet and these are a few of the things I've tried thus far.... opening the registry editor, this would NOT open using several methods so I downloaded another kind and got it to work. I went in and checked the exefile-shell-open-command and it's set to the right value. I tried running a registry fixer. Ran Hijackthis and deleted all the spyware that was running (this is how I got my internet back because that was not working either). I've gone into the file folder options and looked under file types and .exe is NOT in there, whenever I try to add it and select application for it, it goes in ok, but nothing happens, if I look at it again after I close it out, the entry I just made disappears. I tried going to trendmicro housecall and it only gets halfway through before it freezes and says firefox must be shutdown. I've tried running Ad-Aware, Spybot search and destroy, Advanced Window Care, all finding issues and fixing them, but not solving my exe dilemma. I've also tried downloading this "windows XP EXE fix" but whenever I click on it, it asks if I want to add it to the registry, I say yes, then it tells me it's not able to copy all files because some of them are in use by the system or another program. You guys got any other ideas of what might be causing this and how to resolve it? Thanks in advance.

Edited by DJRSXS, 27 May 2007 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:19 PM

Well you said your internet started working again, so I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend updating to SP2 and updating your system to the latest updates. You can do this by going to IE and going to Tools -> Windows Update.

Once this is done I would suggest posting a HJT log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum so a certified HJT Team member can look at it and help you out.

If you have any other questions, post back.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

Download the exefix_xp.com utility and save to your Desktop.
Double-click the exefix_xp.com file to run it.
This utility fixes the exefile association in the registry automatically.

If that does not work you can download xp_fileassoc.zip by Doug Knox.
Extract (unzip) it to your desktop.
Double click on xp_fileassoc.bat to run and follow the prompts.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 BulletBabe13

BulletBabe13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

This just happened to me and I was wondering how you fixed it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users