Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Past Safe Mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 craiglieberman

craiglieberman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

HI all;

First off, thanks to those who helped me clearup the Virtumonde virus.

After several attempts, I was able to run a combination of:

SmithFraudFix
Fixwareout
HijackThis
PCDoctor
AVG
ComboFix
etc.

My desktop icons had disappeared and I could only access my computer through Task Manager, even in Safe Mode.

Then, I had to redo my Boot.Ini file.

I now have Safe Mode up with all of my Desktop Icons back. I can now access about 95% of my files.

I can't access my external backup HD, which is working fine, and my computer sees it, but won't allow me to access it, but all of my other files seem to be intact.

Having trouble getting access to ITunes, my local Printer (RPC dilemma), but my REAL problem is this:

When I try to come into normal mode on reboot, the screen loads the Dell splash, then starts WIndows XP, then takes me right back to the Dell splash...a big circular reference.

I've tried a Clean Boot, following all of the steps, to no avail.

I've tried logging into the boot sequence and enabling/disabling certain drives...to no avail.

I suspect its something to do with SATA drives or such, but I have just enough knowledge to make me dangerous here.

It's almost as if some sort of initiation file is missing, which may explain why my drivers aren't being reinstalled.

Any suggestions now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 craiglieberman

craiglieberman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

HI all;

First off, thanks to those who helped me clearup the Virtumonde virus.

SmithFraudFix
Fixwareout
HijackThis
PCDoctor
AVG
ComboFix
etc.

My desktop icons had disappeared and I could only access my computer through Task Manager, even in Safe Mode.

Then, I had to redo my Boot.Ini file.

I now have Safe Mode up with all of my Desktop Icons back. I can now access about 95% of my files.

I can't access my external backup HD, which is working fine, and my computer sees it, but won't allow me to access it, but all of my other files seem to be intact.

Having trouble getting access to ITunes, my local Printer (RPC dilemma), but my REAL problem is this:

When I try to come into normal mode on reboot, the screen loads the Dell splash, then starts WIndows XP, then takes me right back to the Dell splash...a big circular reference.

I've tried a Clean Boot, following all of the steps, to no avail.

I've tried logging into the boot sequence and enabling/disabling certain drives...to no avail.

I suspect its something to do with SATA drives or such, but I have just enough knowledge to make me dangerous here.

It's almost as if some sort of initiation file is missing, which may explain why my drivers aren't being reinstalled.

Any suggestions now?

UPDATE:

On startup, I get the following blue screen and message

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters/

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced Start Options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF7207184, 0xF7AF6D3C, 0xF7AF6A38)

I think I'm close to resolving my last issue....what's next?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:52 AM

SmithFraudFix
Fixwareout
HijackThis...
ComboFix

Did you use all this tools yourself or use them with instructions from an expert? Are you trained in the use of and investigation of the entries listed in a hijackthis log? These are specialized tools normally used by malware removal experts who are helping others to investigate and remove malware infections in the Hijackthis forum. They are intended to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using them incorrectly could adversely impact your system.

For your BSOD message, see these links related to
"STOP 0x0000007E" error messages

Edit: Sorry, I did not realize you also started a topic here where you already have received some replies. Please do not start new threads as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. Thanks for your cooperation.

This thread is closed.

Edited by quietman7, 25 May 2007 - 07:01 AM.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users