Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Keyboard Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Domenicm

Domenicm

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:13 PM

Recently, my keyboard stopped working. I am currently using an on screen keyboard, so sorry if I'm not writing well. I have looked up drivers for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 9300), but nothing seems to help. The only things I can think of in terms of weird behavior is that startup is slower than usual, and system restore doesn't work. I appreciate any help.

Edited by jgweed, 21 May 2007 - 09:26 AM.

I like my new telephone, my computer works just fine, my calculator is perfect, but Lord, I miss my mind!
~Author Unknown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:41 AM

Did you reinstall the drivers?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

If the drivers haven't helped, then it's most likely (IMO) either a malware infection or a busted keyboard.

Try these free, online scans to see if something has evaded your current protection package:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Does the keyboard work at all? Try opening Notepad and then press each and every one of the keys.
Does the computer recognize that the keyboard is installed? Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Is the keyboard listed there? Does it have any red x's or yellow !'s beside it? Any other issues there?
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#4 Domenicm

Domenicm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

I checked in device manager, and the keyboard has a yellow exclamation point by it. I checked it's properties and it said "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" I would do what the troubleshooter recommended (uninstall/reinstall driver), but as it is a laptop keyboard, I don't know any of the information to have it install automatically, and I have no discs. The malware scans returned no results.

I've forgot to mention that I have Linux installed on the system as well, and the keyboard works in Linux.

Edited by Domenicm, 21 May 2007 - 08:54 PM.

I like my new telephone, my computer works just fine, my calculator is perfect, but Lord, I miss my mind!
~Author Unknown

#5 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

I would download a new keyboard driver from the Dell website for your laptop. Then I would uninstall the keyboard in Device Manager and install the newly downloaded driver in it's place.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 Domenicm

Domenicm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

I tried what you recommended, and, unfortunately, it doesn't help. The keyboard still shows up with the "!" by it.
~Author Unknown

#7 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:16 AM

Try a USB or PS2 keyboard in one of the external ports on the laptop. If it works, then it's likely that it's either a keyboard or mobo problem (which gets expensive with a laptop).
- John

#8 Domenicm

Domenicm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for all your help. I was able to fix the problem by calling Dell Support, and they told me to reinstall Windows. I did that and that appears to have fixed it. Atleast the information I learned here helped me explain the problem to them!
~Author Unknown

#9 sim he

sim he

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Similar problem here. Keyboard and Pad stopped working. (I use external usb devices now.) Both are shown with a "+" in the device manager. Theyr type is ps2. Reinstalling the drivers returns code 24 (non existing device, not working device or missing drivers). The problem started while I was 10 minutes away from my computer. I could not log on the lock screen any more.

Is there anything simpler than reinstalling windows?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users