Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowdown And Bloating -- Time For Add/remove!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 repentant

repentant

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

So here I am, shaking my fist at this silly computer yet again as it slows down evermore each day. I'm getting ready to pop in a bit more ram to bump it up to 2.0 gigs, but first, I wanted to go through and clean out a few things with Add/Remove Programs. Problem is, I'm not entirely positive about just how necessary some of these things are. I'm running Windows XP Home SP2 on a Sony Vaio VGC-RC110G, and it's still got some of the useless stuff it came bundled with. I was hoping someone out there would be kind enough to take a look over some of the stuff I have in this list and tell me just what function it serves, and if it's safe to remove it.

HDAUDIO Soft V92 Data Fax modem with Smart CP (I'm running a Linksys wireless router with an aftermarket wireless card, so my first instinct says kick this. Just wanted to make sure)

High Definition Audio Driver Package KB835221

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

Intel® PRO Network Connection Drivers

InterVideo WIN DVD for VAIO (I never use this silly thing, but every time I go to remove it it says other programs may have issues playing back DVD's if I do)

JS2E Runtime Environments 5.0: 1, 3, 6, 9, 10, and 11 (I was thinking I could remove all but 11, but again, just checking)

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and associated hotfix

Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine VAIO_VEDB

Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0 Beta 2

Move Networks Player for Firefox (my default browser)

MSXML 4.0 SP2 KB92798

OpenMG Metadata Extractor for Windows Media Player

OpenMG Secure Module 4.2.00

SigmaTel Audio

Sonic Encoders

Sony Certificate PCH

Sony MP4 Shared Library

Sony Utilities DLL

Sony Video Shared Library

VAIO Central

VAIO Edit Components

VAIO Entertainment Platform

VAIO Event Service

VAIO Media 4.0

VAIO Media AC3 Decoder 1.0

VAIO Media Integrated Server 4.2

VAIO Media Redistribution 4.0

VAIO Media Registration Tool 4.0

VAIO Registration

VAIO Support Central

VAIO Survey Standalone

VAIO Update 2

Windows Installer 3.1 KB893803

Windows Media Format 11 Runtime

Wireless Desktop

This is my only computer at the moment. I'm a college student, so I use it primarily for internet access (Firefox, Linksys wireless router and aftermarket card), watching my stories (DVD, mp3, .avi, etc), gaming (City of Heroes, Oblivion, and a few others), and research/writing papers (Office suite).

If this computer could start up, let me go to whatever website I want, do whatever I like at that website, let me play whatever song or movie I like, let me download my torrents and play with my photoshop, and then let me play my little games nice and neat like, I would be so happy. I don't care if I can make a memory book or edit videos. I don't care if I can have an infrared port beam crap to my phone. I want to get as much bloat out of this system as possible, because I cannot afford to upgrade to a new one at the moment and really think that cleaning this one off is going to do me fine in the long run. I add this because, looking at things like VAIO Media 4.0, if that's some silly arsed thing that lets me play with home movies, it can bugger off. I'm not interested.

I should have prefaced with this, but instead I'll add it as a prologue: I'm very obviously new to these forums, and I'm really sorry if these questions are too noobish to be lingering around here. I've used this website before in the past to check out my running processes and clean up my startup protocols, but this is my first foray into the forums. I'm literate with computers, yes, but when it comes to the ins and outs, especially concerning hardware, I'm essentially brain dead. In other words, fair warning: I'm a moron, and I have arrived :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for your help. Even if you come to this point and think "My gosh, what a waste" and just wander off, I still appreciate you taking all that time to read this far :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:35 PM

Having worked on a few sonys, the first thing I would ask is Have you made the recovery disks yet?

If you have the recovery disks here are the things that I would uninstall:
InterVideo WIN DVD for VAIO
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0 Beta 2
Sony Certificate PCH
Sony MP4 Shared Library
Sony Utilities DLL
Sony Video Shared Library
VAIO Central
VAIO Edit Components
VAIO Entertainment Platform
VAIO Event Service
VAIO Media 4.0
VAIO Media AC3 Decoder 1.0
VAIO Media Integrated Server 4.2
VAIO Media Redistribution 4.0
VAIO Media Registration Tool 4.0
VAIO Registration
VAIO Support Central
VAIO Survey Standalone
VAIO Update 2

Uninstall anything to do with AOL, if you instant message, install Trillian

Uninstall all versions of java that you have, Install the latest version 6u1 here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Install Acrobat Reader 8, remove 7
Install Adobe Flash and Shockwave If you dont have them

If I have made a mistake, or not included something in the list that should have been, please help.

Edited by oldf@rt, 05 May 2007 - 01:35 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 repentant

repentant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Yes, I've made the recovery disks (although it was a painful process, let me tell you. I swear that thing failed five times). Also, I should have noted above that the list I provided was only those things that I'm unsure about -- the rest, such as Flash and Shockwave, I'm sure I want to keep, or things like the low battery usage wallpaper I'm positive I want to be done with.

Thanks for looking over my list! I appreciate the insight :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

Uninstall the fax/modem if you don't use it - don't forget to disable the device in device manager also.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users