Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Crashes...i Think I See Word Hijack When It Does

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SwtCheriWhine

SwtCheriWhine

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

This is one sticky virus (for me).

On startup, I get msg. "no language support detected"

I then get error loading c:\windows\pmlife.dll The specified module could not be found.

Computer is overrun with popups in Explorer but not in Firefox. Also running slow. Also (related or not?) I hear 2 clicking sounds occasionally (like the noise you'd make with your tongue hitting the top of your mouth).

I have run (successfully spybot) and deleted the quanranteed items.

When trying to run ad-aware or housecall, the computer just restarts on its own part of the way through.

I tried for ad-aware, to sectionalize the scan and it still does it. I have made it through the quick scan, but as soon as I tell it to do the entire scan (deep) I get restarted.

I uninstalled everything that I didn't need. I uninstalled other things (probably why I am getting those missing error messages).

I have taken off all of my pictures, data files, music (burned to a DVD) and erased.

I have defragged the drive.

I have tried to run housecall 4x and adaware at least double that today alone.

As I don't know what I'm looking for, I don't know how to delete it.

I don't (believer) I have an antivirus on here that is not expired. I may have to purchase one ... suggestions on one to get that can protect?

I have been a Mac user and bragged that in 20 years of computing have never had a virus I couldn't fix ... until now .... sigh... paybacks ...

HELP ???????

Thanks for any suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image to BC

I would recommend AVG Free, as an antivirus ( For the link check my sig) which has kept me clean for 2 years now. What about firewall? I use Zone Alarm free ( also in mu sig. I would recommend following steps :

step 1

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

After that, download DrWeb-CureIt & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE using the F8 method.

Scan with DrWeb-CureIt as follows:

* Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program. An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear.
* Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start. This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.
* Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
* Choose the "Scan tab" and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis"
* Back at the main window, click "Select drives" (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen)
* Then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) and the scan will start.
* When done, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
* Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
* When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found. If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select "Move incurable".
(This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
* Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
* Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
* Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
* Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

plase post back the reports and how your pc is running.

#3 SwtCheriWhine

SwtCheriWhine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

i was unable to get the computer to stay "up".... each time I restarted and got to the point that the icons would appear on the desktop... the comptuer would shut down.

i was finally able to get thru to safe mode and run the entire AVG, ad-aware and spybot successfully (ran them 3x until they came up (almost) clean ... the AVG found 3 errors (cookies) the last time thru.

ini safe mode i can't access the internet so i can't get to the programs you are suggesting

when i try to reboot the normal way.. now i get all the way up... but whenever i try to do anything, it says i have "LIMITED SYSTEM RESOURCES and can't do anything. not even launch a program. not connect to internet...

i tried to hook up a ethernet cable from this laptop to the damaged pc ... but don't know what i'm doing so i can't access anything to try and copy the programs from one to the other. (limited system resources when i tried in control panel to add a direct connection from the damaged computer)

i can't get to the internet.

i dont know if i can put in a clean copy of windows xp.

this computer was built by my daughters boyfriend, and he put a lot of programs on it, including unfortunately HIS copy of windows xp. he is not a resource for me to get help from at this time.

questions.... am i screwed?
is it possible to copy these programs from the laptop, reformat the hard drive (havent done that in awhile) and then try to get the programs back on ?
install new system software on top of the existing software?

thank you in advance
this is making me ill. lol.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Start Here and post a HJT log,not here but in the appropiate forum.

reformatting is the last resort and a PITA IMO :thumbsup:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,785 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

Since you are able to function in safe mode, try "safe mode with networking" to use the internet. Good luck to you!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#6 SwtCheriWhine

SwtCheriWhine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:39 AM

Ok... update...

can't get to internet.

was able to launch Nero where I did a complete backup of the drive.

now... the PITA question lol

if I buy a new drive.... and put it in.... and put on a clean copy of Windows XP Pro, and then attempt to restore the drive from theses cds ... does the virus come with the files on the backup?

I figure if I buy a new HD, then the old one will still have everything on it, in case I screw up somehow; then the daughters boyfriend may be able to "fix" my virus.

I am a pro in desktop publishing... so when I get this all straightened out, I welcome the chance to help y'all in those type questions lol.

Debi

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:33 PM

From what you describe, the pmlife.dll file is probably an orphaned entry. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it. The file may have been removed during an anti-virus scan or the uninstall of a program but there is still a registry entry that is telling Windows to load it when you boot up.

When Windows loads, it looks for any files associated with registry entries for programs that are set to run at startup. If the file was removed but not the entry, Windows will display an error message indicating that the file was not found. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the program when it loads. To resolve this download and run Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.

Have you tried doing your scans in "Safe Mode"?

If your still having problems even in Safe Mode, you might want to review these pinned topics at Lavasoft Support Forums > FAQ's > Ad-Aware SE:
Ad-Aware SE terminates or PC reboots during scan
During An Ad-aware Scan, My Computer Restarts
During an Ad-Aware scan, I get a bluescreen and my computer restarts
Ad-Aware becomes unresponsive during a file system scan
Why does Ad-Aware freeze during a scan?
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users