Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Connect To My Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 farout1977

farout1977

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

We have a wireless network set up in our home. We use a Linksys Wiresless-G Broadband Router with Speed Booster, model # WRT54GS. The internet is working beautifully on our desktop PC (where the router is located), but for some reason, our laptop will not connect. It shows that it is connected to "our network", but another message balloon pops up that says "A Network Cable Is Unplugged". In the past, when I got this message, I would come downstairs and make sure they power cord was plugged into the rotuer. Or, I had to reset the router, or unplug it and plug it back in after 10 seconds. This always worked for me. It's not working this time! I have checked every single cord, and everything is plugged in tightly. What possibly could the problem be?? (Oh yeah, if it helps, our laptop is a Compaq Presario R3000 and the os is Windows XP).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

Does the laptop have both wireless and wired ports? If it does go to the Device Manager and enter the Properties for the wired NIC. Select disable and restart your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi there. Thanks for responding to my cry for help.
My laptop has built in wireless capability AND I can plug the internet cable into it as well. So, if that's what you mean by asking if it has wired and wireless ports, then, yes.
Now I'm about to ask you a painfully stupid question....how do I find the device manager?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hi there. Thanks for responding to my cry for help.
My laptop has built in wireless capability AND I can plug the internet cable into it as well. So, if that's what you mean by asking if it has wired and wireless ports, then, yes.
Now I'm about to ask you a painfully stupid question....how do I find the device manager?

Not stupid if you have never needed it and just do not know where it is.
Go to the Conrtrol Panel and slect System. Next select the Hardware tab. When that opens the Device Manager will be the first button on the right side.
the Network adapters will be under Network Adapters (Where else, right?).
When you identify your wired adapter right click on it and select Properties Inside that window at the bottom will be a drop box to enable\disable. Disable the wired NIC.

#5 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

Hello again,
Thanks for the info. I followed your instructions. It shows that the laptop is connected to our network and the network is sending info to our laptop, but it isn't receiving. Any suggestions???

Thanks

p.s. Our Network is secured.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Check Windows Firewall and see if the Gateway IP address is being blocked. On most routers the gateway by default is 192.168.1.1 If it is then unblock it.

#7 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

Cool, thanks....How do I check that? I clicked on Windows Firewall (in the security center) and I don't see that option anywhere.....

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

Open the Firewall Properties from the Control Panel. Under the Exceptions tab see if access has been denied.

#9 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:40 PM

I brought my laptop to work and now it's working fine on that wireless network, but it's still not working at home on my wireless network there. I'm so confused because it just stopped working so abruptly!

#10 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 04:24 AM

Well, the internet works on my desktop pc (at home), but I still cant get my laptop to connect to the wireless network at home. It will connect to the wireless network at work! I'm sure I have overlooked something. The answer seems so like it should be right infront of my face, and I'm probably missing it by a hair!

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Have you checked for firmware updates for your Wifi card and router? They will be located under Support & Downloads on the devices home page.

#12 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:14 PM

I'll take my laptop with me when I go back to work tomorrow and check that....thanks :thumbsup:

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

Have you tried creating a second LOC (Local Area Connection) for the network at home?

#14 farout1977

farout1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

Hmmm, I'm not sure I know how to do that. I tried to reinstall the wireless network at home but it still wont connect....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users