Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help ! My Acer Laptop Will Not Turn On

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

My Acer laptop was fine last night when I switched it off. Now today it will not turn on at all. The little light at the front to say that the battery is charging or has charged is on but it will not switch on. Completely dead.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Try this

:inlove: disconnect from the wall power and disconnect the power cord from the laptop

:trumpet: remove the battery.

:flowers: push the power as if you are trying to turn it on. Hold it in this position for four minutes

:cool: Put the battery back in the laptop.

:thumbsup: reconnect the power and try to turn on again.

Please let us know if this does not work.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

Hi cakesunlimited,

Remove the battery from your laptop and turn try turning on your computer using the ac adapter. Hopefully it will start - shut the computer down and reinstall the battery. This has worked many times for me with HP laptops.

I hope this helps...
rigel

Edited by rigel, 22 April 2007 - 07:17 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for the replies - I tried all of this but nothing - absolutely dead. so I left it for about an hour. Went back to it pressed the switch and on it came. Don't know why or how but thanks anyway.

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:29 AM

This is normally due to dirt on the switch that checks if the lid is up or not. If it is stuck it will not power up as it thinks the lid is still closed. Try cleaning the switch by either blowing it or a new paint brush.
Posted Image

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for letting us know that it is running again. :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 cakesunlimited

cakesunlimited
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:30 AM

I have the same problem again with my laptop. I have tried everything above but nothing. Think my luck has run out.
I was told the last time this happened that I could buy a case and take my hard drive out of my laptop, put it into the case and
it would act as an external hardrive so that I could transfer any data by USB to another computer. I have seen this cases online
but how do I know the size of the harddrive on my Acer and furthermore how do I get it out.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 43,443 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

All laptop drives are the same size (21/2 inches) while all IDE/SATA drives are 31/2 inches. Optical drives are 5 inches.

So any USB case made for either or both will do do the job. Just be sure to read what size drive the case accomodates.

Normally (in my experience) every laptop has an opening which is accessible so that owners can remove/replace, etc. the hard drive. It may slide out, it may have screws (some screws are unorthodox, requiring screwdrivers which you may not be used to, but which are readily available at KMart, WalMart, etc.).

If you have any doubts, just consult your system owners handbook/guide.

It should be readily apparent, just looking at the bottom/sides of the laptop.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:59 PM

You'll also need to know if your laptop's hard drive is IDE or SATA. More and more of the newer laptops are coming with SATA drives - so you'll need a 2 1/2" drive enclosure for either an IDE or a SATA drive - make sure you get the right one.

Post back with the complete model number of your Acer laptop and we'll try and find if it's SATA or IDE.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users