Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Remove Mcafee Siteadvisor

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 willwould

willwould

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:12 PM

My operating system is Windows XP and I have McAfee virus protection. I do not need the McAfee SiteAdvisor but cannot figure out how to remove it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:15 PM

What browser do you have it installed on?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

If you really want to remove it, I'm sure someone can help you. But I'd like to ask you, if I may: Do you know what SiteAdvisor is? It is not an anti-virus, but rather a web site "warning" tool. I would not be without it. May I recommend learning about it before deciding to remove it? Good luck!

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

hmmm.....Basically,you can find it at Add/Remove programs

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

Unless it you have it installed for Firefox, then it would be:
Tools / Add-ons / Extensions tab
Scroll down to MacAfee SiteAdvisor, click it, to highlight it, and select Uninstall.
Restart Firefox, for the change to take effect.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php...9214570b81cb5d3

I don't know whether Add/Remove is safe, as the service is running and brute-force removal might cause problems.
If it's not in the Start menu, uninstaller location is here
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6066\Uninstall.exe
I suspect it's safest thing to do, just run the official uninstaller.
Reboot afterwards.

Site Advisor is great. So is LinkScanner Light monitor. I wouldn't be without them when using IE.

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

Why wouldn't you need siteadvisor? It helps keep you safe online...
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 sampledred

sampledred

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

:thumbsup: one good reason to remove it, is because the damn thing is a nightmare to remove and anything that evasive when it comes to uninstalling usually means it a bad thing. I've had less trouble getting rid of nasty virus', therefor i consider it just as bad as a virus, because a user should have the right to remove their software, (and if its near impossible to remove, i've gotta wonder what else it upto that it shouldn't be). I originally wanted to just remove stie adviser and keep the rest of my McAfee package, I've now uninstalled all of it in an atempt to get rid of it, and will never trush McAfee again, after relying on their antvirus for years. Its so bad i'm now resorting to formatting my shiny new laptop, which is less than ideal as I have to now try and hunt down all my drives. I've tried repeatedly to uninstall it in various ways I have Vista with IE7, I originally tried using the McAfee uninstaller, I have since removed it no less the 15 times using add or remove programs, even filled in their sodding questionair to why I removed it over and over again, but every time I open internet explorer it re-installs itself without my permission and leaves it it in a domant state, poping up a window saying it has been updated and wanting me to re-activate it every single time I open a new internet explorer window or tab, which as you can imagin is unbelievably annoyng. any surgestions about getting rid of it for good would be welcome?

#9 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Here is a good freeware application for removing programs:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I recommend using the " Advanced " mode.

Edited by Bartster, 09 January 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

See info in Mcafee forum in link below.
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=213905

Go to Control Panel/Add or Remove and uninstall it. It will be listed either separately as McAfee SiteAdvisor or be part of McAfee Security Center which if you click the uninstall will then ask you what parts you want to uninstall.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#11 sampledred

sampledred

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

Thats what I'm already doing, add or remove and uninstalled the separate site advisor program, over and over again, i've removed all mcAfee programs but the minute i reconnect to the net it re-installs itself.

thanks bartster, i'll that program a go.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

Have you looked in the addons for IE? If it is there, stop it from running.
Have you looked in your program files for it? If not, look in this location: C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6066\Uninstall.exe
If the uninstaller is there, click on it to run it after checking to see if Site Advisor is listed in the Task Manager and if it is, click on the "end process" button. You could also boot into safe mode and run the uninstaller from there if it exists.

I would then delete all cookies and temporary files in IE.

McAfee also has a special tool for removing their products. Since you had other McAfee programs I suggest you use it, too.
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...507&lc=1033

Edited by buddy215, 10 January 2009 - 09:17 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#13 Annoyed Computer Use

Annoyed Computer Use

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

To answer another contributors question...why you would want to remove the McAfee Siteadvisor...because McAfee didn't ask and the program doesn't work right.

McAfee didn't ask if I wanted siteadvisor, they just hijacked my browers and added it. That would be fine, since I'm all for extra protection against harmful sites, although I liked to be asked. However, everytime I open a browser window a pops up opens wanting me to enable features of the site advisor (which I didn't want to do). I hit the x to close it, and another browser window pops up, which opens another pop up wanting me to enable site advisor features. I tried unclicking the features and hitting the Finish button. It still opens another browser window wanting me to enable other features. You get the picture.

I was stuck in a loop and I could not get out of it. Finally, I realized if you click the close button on the browser window before McAfee site advisor is able to open that pop up with features, you can stop it.

In IE, I was able to disable site advisor by clicking the menu (downward arrow) next the icon at the bottom of the browser window. There was no uninstall, which annoyed me, but I'll live with having it disabled.

Siteadvisor automatically added itself to both my IE and Firefox, but in Firefox I had to look up how to uninstall it (which I found on this site. Thank you TG1911! Here's that person's instructions again:

Firefox:
Tools / Add-ons / Extensions tab
Scroll down to MacAfee SiteAdvisor, click it, to highlight it, and select Uninstall.
Restart Firefox, for the change to take effect.

I couldn't actually uninstall it (that option was grayed out), so I settled for disabling it again.

I tried going to uninstall programs, but siteadvisor doesn't show up on the list, just the McAfee security center.
It's a pain, and I am going to send a complaint about the site advisor to McAfee. The addition of site advisor doesn't even show up on my recent activity log in McAfee security center.

My angry commentary: It's ridiculous. I don't consider site advisor a help when it keeps me from even being able to use the internet at all. Locking me in a continous loop of browers windows and popups is not my idea useful. However, maybe that's how McAfee is plannign to keep my computer from being infected. If I can't surf the web, I can't get a virus. Now, why didn't I think of that. (eye roll)

#14 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

McAfee has a free 24 h online service. You can chat with a live technician. Why don't you try it? It would be a lot simpler.
Please post back if we found the solution

#15 wrb04

wrb04

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:56 PM

I'm so glad to find this helpful thread.
The option to "Remove" SiteAdvisor was "grayed out", but I was able to "Disable" it.
My machine had been running perfectly for months and then this problem with McAfee's SiteAdvisor (which I didn't opt for!) popped up (literally).
My sentiments exactly, karbo1. Well put.
Thank you, tg1911.
This is my first post and I thank all of you for the helpful information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users