Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes Blank Cd

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 perplexed22

perplexed22

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

I just bought brand new blank CD-Rs today and when I load them into my drive to burn songs onto them from iTunes, it says, "Please insert a blank disc" and then spits out the CD. I put it back in, because I know it is blank, but it still says the same thing.

Other times it will accept the CD and say "Checking media" but still nothing happens.

What is up with this problem?

I read a similar post on this problem, but the solution had me lost. I don't know what to do because I've done what iTunes says, but it won't recognize it.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by perplexed22, 07 April 2007 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

First thing to try is get a CD cleaning disc. The lens could be dirty/dusty
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,841 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:46 AM

Also, I had a similar problem when I put in another separate cd burner in my computer. Do you have more then one cd drive?

Try this: In Itunes click edit, and then preferences. Click the advanced tab, then the burning tab. Then select the appropriate drive that your cd burner is, and hit ok.

Also, if your making cd's to play on stereos or in your car, Audio should be selected in the burning section.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I only have one drive and I have been through the advanced edit deal in iTunes.

Something that has been different lately is that when I put in a CD it used to ask what I wanted to do with it and gave me a list of options. Now, it does nothing.

Is this a hardware issue? or this there a button I need to activate?

I've tried to clean the hard drive but when I put in the CD I can't go to track 3, which is the cleaning track. Nothing pops up to tell me what to do with it.

Edited by perplexed22, 08 April 2007 - 11:45 PM.

#5 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:25 AM

Well, something is wrong because I just made a CD from the same disc on my older computer. The problem is that I don't have as many songs on that computer, so I still somehow need to figure this one out.

Any suggestions?

Edited by perplexed22, 09 April 2007 - 12:25 AM.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,169 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

It sounds like maybe your drive is going out. Since you could use the disk on another computer but not on yours. They aren't hard to replace and are fairly cheap nowadays, you might want to replace it. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

It sounds like you have something on your computer preventing the drivers to initialize as they should.

Since you have another computer to do this test... do so..

The cd/dvd drive in your computer that's giving you the problem, take it out and put it in the other computer where your cd worked.

If your cd/dvd drive works on that other computer, then there is something on your computer that's causing the problem.

If your cd/dvd drive doesn't work on the other computer, then there is something wrong with your drive.

But I'm willing to bet the problem is on your computer, and not the drive itself.

But take that test... it'll eliminate alot of guess work.

#8 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

I have no idea how to uninstall a drive, so that might not work Walkman.

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Well, I guess it's time you learn how to do so. Don't doubt yourself.

At the most, normally, there are three sets of wires connected to your cd/dvd drive.

1. Your power cable
2. Your IDE cable
3. Your audio cable (optional)

Just take a look at the drive before removing it, and then place it in the other computer the same way. It will only fit the same way, so chances are you won't be able to do anything different from one computer to the next. It'll be just as you did it on the 1st one.

Even without experience you claim you don't have, you can pull your drive out, and put it into the other one in less than 30 minutes.... and that's with shaky hands. It's not hard at all.

Just say you can do it, and it'll be a done deal for you.

#10 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

I still have no clue what that means. Do you mean to press eject and then pull on that little piece of plastic where the CD goes until it pops out? That seems like I would break the computer.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,841 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hmm maybe some one else can help you out more (I'm bad at explaining things), but you need to take the front cover and side cover off your computer. Then unplug everything out of whats connected to the cd drive. Then open up your other computer, and unplug everything out of that cd drive and switch them. They both will use the same exact plugs as the other one did before you took it out. I hope this makes sense. Also, it may seem hard at first, but once you do it you'll say, wow that was easy.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#12 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

How do you take off the front and side cover of the tower?

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

I tried a quick search trrying to find a good tutorial with pictures. This ones on how to build a pc, but you'll get the idea. All you'll probably need is a small phillips screwdriver.
Mark
How to build a pc
How to add a CD drive1
How to add a CD drive 2
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

I'm sorry. I tried and I cannot do it. Wires wont come out and some ribbon deal is threaded through to I don't know where it's connected and I'm going to break something.

Is there any other way that I can fix the drive pretending that I don't have another computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users