Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Hp Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

A while ago I was trying to find any other way possible to erase my HP Pavilion zt1145 laptop because the CD Drive did not work. Now, the CD Drive suddenly worked! I excitedly put in my Recovery Disk, and booted from the CD. Alas, my happiness ended when after I followed the instructions (caution this action will erase your hard drive, etc.) I got this message (black screen with white letters)

CDR101: Not ready reading drive X
Abort, Retry, Fail?

It appeared exactly like that. Please help!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

Do you have a program meant specifically to create recovery disks? On my Toshiba, I have a program called Toshiba Recovery Disk creator....

--- Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

The error message is saying that the program couldn't read the CD drive. This can be software or hardware related (a bad drive, a bad disk, or a bad program).

Select R for retry - if it doesn't bump past it you can try I for ignore (but it may affect the recovery. A for abort will stop the program from trying at all.

I'd try another CD drive in it's place.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#4 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

Ok i'm going to give up but I have another problem: my laptop won't start up anymore!

This message appears:
1200 Mhz Mobile Pentium III /M CPU
Intel Processor Update Rev 01Dh Complete
External Cache: 512K installed
Hard disk boot sector invalid
Press 'H' to retry Hard Disk, any other key for Next Device

Help please
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:42 PM

Try removing the CD-Rom drive from the computer and if you still can not boot up try booting into safe mode and let us know how that goes. By the way you have a bad CD-Rom drive and it needs to be replaced I suggewst calling HP to get another drive to replace this one.

#6 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:58 PM

No unfortunately I cannot boot at all; once I turn on the computer, I get the HP logo and then the aforementioned message. Therefore I cannot boot up in any mode.

By the way I have removed the CD from the drive.

Edited by nyyanks, 07 April 2007 - 05:59 PM.

Albert Einstein

Not really!

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:06 PM

Good that you removed the CD from the drive now try removing the drive from the laptop it should just slide out after you move the locking tab that hold it in if there is one. If the drive does not release and let you remove it I suggest getting a hold of HP and get somne service for this laptop. A laptop with out a bootable CD drive is going to be very difficult to repair or install anything unless the laptop give you the option to use an external drive as a boot drive.

#8 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

how will sliding it out help me? i'll try
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#9 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

Sliding the drive out essentially makes the laptop forget there is a drive there so it won't try to load it. Your laptop should allow you to boot from a USB device if it is fairly new (4-5 yrs. old or less).
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#10 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

Unfortunately it will not boot from a usb; I will take out my C drive and report back when I do.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#11 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

would i have to unscrew it?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users