Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall Spyware Doctor

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

I have tried for the better part of a day to uninstall Spyware Doctor. It started this morning when I first turned on the computer. I received a message screen that said Spyware Doctor was not working. I could look online for an answer or close. This has happened before to me with the Com Surrogate is not working. I know that has to do with Nero but I won't give up Nero so I am living with it until a fix is made. With Spyware Doctor I tried to uninstall the program and I get a message saying that Spyware Uninstall is not working (same as Com Surrogate error message). I have tried going into Safe Mode and can't seem to uninstall in Safe Mode either. I thought maybe if I could send a copy of the folder in program files to my external (for safe keeping) and then delete the Spyware Doctor Folder in Program Files that I then could make a new folder, install Spyware Doctor into the empty folder. Then I could uninstall the Spyware Doctor in the proper manner, Delete the folder I placed in my external and be done with it. For some reason I can't delete the program files folder of Spyware Doctor. It tells me I need special permissions. I am the administrator. I don't know what else to do and would sure appreciate someones help. Thanks in advance for any and all help. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:57 PM

If you have version 5, it apparently doesn't work. From my Google search, version 4 works fine.

Go into safe mode and uninstall, then delete all Spyware Doctor program folders.

EDIT... just read again that you can't uninstall via safe mode. Turn off UAC, (Control Panel > Security Center) then boot into safe mode. Make sure you are the Admin with elevated Admin privileges.

See if that works for you this time. If it does, be sure to turn UAC back on!

Edited by Jacee, 06 April 2007 - 09:06 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2014
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

If Spyware Doctor won't uninstall and it uses Windows Installer to install then you could try Windows Installer Cleanup Ultility.
It only works with programs that use windows installer to install.

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

After a couple of hours, I was able to first install Spyward Doctor and then (somehow) uninstall it in safe mode. When I go back into my regular Vista, I do not find the program listed either in programs (from start) nor in program to uninstall so I think I have it except for one problem. In my Program Files there is still a folder for Spyware Doctor. In it is one file "FilterLSP.dll" that was created when I installed the Spyware Doctor in Safe Mode. I have tried to delete both the file and the Spyward Doctor Folder but keep getting a message that I don't have permissions. If anyone can help me with this, I think I will have my problem solved. Thanks in advance for any and all help. :huh:

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

How to Open Elevated Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges in Windows Vista
Windows Vista power users have many ways to launch a command prompt or Windows command processor (cmd.exe) with administrator privileges, rights or credentials. It’s a security feature in Windows Vista that comes with User Access Control (UAC) that all processes will launch in restricted mode unless users specifically accept the elevation confirmation. For command prompt, the commands may refuse to run or have access denied error. So users need to launch command prompt will full admin rights and permission state. Here’s a few ways and methods the elevated command prompt can be opened and ran as administrator.

Method 1

Click on Vista Start button.
Locate the Command Prompt menu item (buried deep inside Accessories under All Programs or appear on program access history).
Right click on Command Prompt.
On the pop-up right click context menu, select “Run as Administrator”.
Method 2

Click on Run.
Type in “Cmd” (without quotes) in the Open textbox.
You should see “This task will be created with administrative privileges”.
Click on OK or press Enter.
Method 3

Press the Win keyboard key or click on Vista Start button.
Type cmd into the Start Search textbox.
Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter keyboard shortcut. Ctrl-Shift-Enter is the general keyboard shortcut that triggers elevation to “Run as Administrator”.
Press Alt+C or press Continue to confirm the UAC elevation warning prompt.
Method 4

In the Start Search box, type in “Cmd” (without quotes).
Right click on the Command Prompt in the search result listing.
In the right click menu, click on “Run as Administrator” menu item.
Method 5

Press on Win + R keyboard keys.
Type in Cmd into the Open textbox.
Hit OK or press Enter.
Method 6

You can create an easy access shortcut to elevated command prompt with administrative privileges at the desktop or Start menu.

Method 7

Turn off or disable User Access Control (UAC).

When you have finished deleting the folder, turn UAC back on and reboot.

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

I have tried before finding this Vista help forum to turn off the UAC in order to gain heightened privileges necessary to delete a file and folder. It did not work for me.

After reading the methods to gain Administrative Privileges, I was able to get to a elevated command prompt with Administrative Priviliges. I just don't know what to key in from their to get to the folder (and single file) to delete them. The folder is in program files/Spyware Doctor. If you could give me what I need to type in so that I can delete the Spyware Doctor file I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your support. It is GREAT to have someone who can help. Microsoft tried last night but didn't get as far as I was able using trial and error.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

Does the file show running in task manager? If it does, click on 'end task'

Now boot into safe mode. Using Windows Explorer, click on Computer > local disk (C:) > program files.
Right click on the Spyware Doctor folder, delete.

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

Spyware Doctor is not running in processes. In fact the only thing left in the entire Spyware Doctor folder is Filterlsp.dll. That file and the Spyware Doctor Folder are all that is left. Can't seem to find a way to delete them. I have not worked in the command prompt environment enough to feel comfortable with it. I am sure there is a way to delete the one file and even the folder from one but I don't even know how to begin to key it in. Thanks for your suggestion. I believe it would have been much easier to have done that in the beginning. Would have saved me a great deal of time. Any other thoughts? Thanks!!

#9 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

I just had a brainstorm (or at least I think it might be!!) I am dual booting both Windows XP Professional and Vista Ultimate. I have Windows Vista on a separate drive. Using Powertoys for Windows XP, I can see and assess everything in Vista. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the Windows XP has the same security when it comes to deleting files and folders as Vista Ultimate has. Is there any reason that I can't go into Windows XP and delete the Spyware Doctor File Folder. I don't believe I needed eleveated permissions in XP Pro.

The only problem in doing that is that I would loose all my restore points. Every time I go into XP Pro, I loose my restore points. I had read that if you set it so that Windows XP couldn't see the drive with Vista on it that it wouldn't delete the restore point. Found that in a Computing Net post. IT DOESN'T WORK.

Anyway, let me know if my idea has any validity. Thanks again for all your help.

JazzMahn

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,708 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

JazzMahn, I don't know about dual-booting and deleting the file through XPpro. Vista is new to me too, but I am working on learning it from "The Inside Out" :huh:

It does seem to be very finicky about letting one delete files and folders, even as an elevated Admin.

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Try deleting in Safe Mode?
Try deleting using a delete on reboot utility?
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#12 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 273 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

Boys I screwed up. I was able to delete the file on XP's side (SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE IT) and now I am having all kinds of trouble. My DNS settings won't work and I can't get on the net. I am also getting an error 0x80070032 and it comes when I try to do a create a restore point. Won't let me do it. Guess I will have to get with Microsoft Monday. My mistake. Will never do that again. Not sure if there is anything any of you can do to help. I am beyond myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

Boys I screwed up. I was able to delete the file on XP's side (SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE IT) and now I am having all kinds of trouble. My DNS settings won't work and I can't get on the net. I am also getting an error 0x80070032 and it comes when I try to do a create a restore point. Won't let me do it. Guess I will have to get with Microsoft Monday. My mistake. Will never do that again. Not sure if there is anything any of you can do to help. I am beyond myself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you still have the Vista Ultimate CD with you? Also, is there anything of importance on XP? If so, back it up and reinstall Vista Ultimate, but this time put it on the main partition. My guess is the dual-booting screwed Vista up.

-- Jesse
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users