Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Norton Antivirus Slowing Down My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 csmith

csmith

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

I recently re-formatted my mother's computer. It was running win 98 and I installed win XP. I have installed this on all my computers at home with no trouble. After installing XP I installed Norton Antivirus which I have also installed on my computers at home with no trouble. The installation went through just fine and then went through all of the available updates. I waited until all was finished then I rebooted the computer. It took a VERY long time to boot up and continued to make all of its initializing noises long after it should have been finished. Trying to open anything took about 15 times longer to bring it up than it should have. It took me 20 minutes to finally manage to bring up the control panel so that I could uninstall the antivirus program. Once uninstalled, the computer went back to its usual speed, leaving me to assume that the Norton program was what was causing the slow down.
Is there something I can do to Norton during the installation or after the installation to prevent this? Is this a common problem? Should I get different antivirus software? I also have Adaware on there and that did not cause any problems during installation or after. The computer is several years old but seems to have enough space on it. It does not have a lot of programs on it. It has high speed dsl as its internet connection. Everything else seems to run fine. I did have to disable the messenger service because of a pop-up that I could not get rid of that advised me to run some sort of registry repair. This pop-up appeared on my computer at home when I installed the high speed internet on it. I disabled the messenger services on that computer with no problems. Could these things be related?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 10,139 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

There is no one size fits all when it comes to antivirus and security programs. What works well for some won't work for others. Try another antivirus, there really isn't anything (at least that I'm aware of) that you can do to tweak Norton so it doesn't slow the computer down.

Now that you've uninstalled Norton, use the removal tool from Symantec to get rid of the traces Norton is notorious for leaving behind. This thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34671/how-to-remove-your-norton-products/ will provide the info for and the link to the removal tool.

Also, if you haven't installed another antivirus, this thread will give you some programs that you can choose from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 March 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

How much RAM do you have on this computer?
XP is a fairly RAM intensive Operating System.
256 MB is recommended, which I consider to be a joke.
I consider 512MB to be a minimum.

Norton, is also known to be a resource hog.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users