Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error With Downloading Ad-aware Definition Update -- Problem?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

I have Ad-Aware 1.06r1 and am trying to download the latest definitions. But when I do so via the Ad-Aware program by choosing "Check for Updates Now", it comes back as an error.

Anyone know why this is? Is the site just down or something? Or could it be another problem?

The definitions I have from last time as of now are:

Definitions File Loaded:
Reference Number : SE1R161 19.03.2007
Internal build : 201
File location : C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\defs.ref
File size : 1067789 Bytes
Total size : 3484451 Bytes
Signature data size : 3443986 Bytes
Reference data size : 39953 Bytes
Signatures total : 91502
CSI Fingerprints total : 6493
CSI data size : 321694 Bytes
Target categories : 15
Target families : 1074

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

Can you tell us what the error message is?
Does it begin to download and then "hang" at around 5 percent?
I just downloaded an update for the same definition file without any problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

That's exactly it. It hangs at 5% for like a second then says "Error Retrieving Update".

Thoughts? Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:13 PM

Servers could be busy.
Try again later, or if that doesn't work, another way would be to download the definitions file, and install them manually.

Close Ad-aware.
Delete the defs.ref file (C: \ Program Files \ Lavasoft \ Ad-Aware SE Personal \ defs.ref)
Download the latest definitions file, in a ZIP file, from (This is a direct download):
http://download.lavasoft.com/public/defs.zip
Save the file to a temporary location.
When the download is complete, unzip the contents of the file to the installation directory of Ad-aware (Default Location: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal)
Reboot.
Open Ad-aware, and confirm the success of the update.

I would try later, first.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

I'll wait and try again.

If it's not the servers, what would cause that all of a sudden?

Thanks!

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

Okay, I'm still having the problem...

Before I did it all manually, why would this problem suddenly come up?

And does this mean I'll have to do it manually every time?

Thanks!

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:49 PM

It's not an unusual problem, especially on the day the updates come out.
I've had the same thing happen on several occasions.

A lot of people use Ad-aware, and they are all trying to update at the same time, which will overload the servers.
I just tried, and was able to update.
I find the best times to update, are late at night, or a couple of days after the updates come out.

Edited by tg1911, 26 March 2007 - 11:51 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

It's not an unusual problem, especially on the day the updates come out.
I've had the same thing happen on several occasions.

A lot of people use Ad-aware, and they are all trying to update at the same time, which will overload the servers.
I just tried, and was able to update.
I find the best times to update, are late at night, or a couple of days after the updates come out.

I didn't realize an update just came out... :flowers:

But I just tried again this morning and the same thing happened. I'll keep trying for another day at different times of the day/night, but if it still doesn't work, is that indicative of another issue?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#9 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

I am also an Ad-aware user. I have never had a delay on updating, at any time of the day. Just for the test, I have just updated - took about 10-15 seconds. Perhaps you should uninstall and reinstall.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

I am also an Ad-aware user. I have never had a delay on updating, at any time of the day. Just for the test, I have just updated - took about 10-15 seconds. Perhaps you should uninstall and reinstall.

Yeah, this is seeming weird now... But I've never had any problem with this install, so why would I suddenly have an issue? Is there anything that could cause this problem?

Thanks!

#11 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hi Bloomcounty!

I've had the exact same problem appear on my work laptop, for no apparent reason. What I did was manually download the definitions and unzip them into the proper folder and renamed the previous definitions to defs.ref.old This is what the automated update does.

After that, I still had problems retrieving updates, but it eventually went away on its own :flowers:
So I never discovered the source of the problem.

As an experiment try this:
- try to check for updates with the program (not manual) while in safe mode WITH networking (you'll need networking for internet access)
- what operating system are you using? I have a laptop that runs Windows 2000 SP4 and a desktop that runs Windows XP, SP2. Both machines were fully patched at the time. I ONLY had this problem on the Windows 2000 machine. The XP comp did not experience this error.

I'm thinking that one of the updates somehow had a bad or corrupted code that may have interferred with an Operating System process under Windows 2000.

Good luck!
:thumbsup:

#12 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

As an experiment try this:
- try to check for updates with the program (not manual) while in safe mode WITH networking (you'll need networking for internet access)
- what operating system are you using? I have a laptop that runs Windows 2000 SP4 and a desktop that runs Windows XP, SP2. Both machines were fully patched at the time. I ONLY had this problem on the Windows 2000 machine. The XP comp did not experience this error.

Thanks for the post! I have a laptop with Windows XP SP2.

I don't know how to do the safe mode with networking thing you mentioned... and am a bit fearful with messing with more stuff. :flowers:

I've also noticed that when I try registering to post on their message board, I get this error:

IPS Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

IPS Driver Error
There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here

...don't know if that's indicative of a problem on my end or theirs...?

Thoughts?

If worse comes to worse, I'll download them manually then delete the old ones as suggested.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#13 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 481 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

I don't know how to do the safe mode with networking thing you mentioned... and am a bit fearful with messing with more stuff.

Reboot your computer. When you see the manufacturer's welcome screen, but BEFORE you see the Windows XP welcome screen, tap the F8 key repeatedly. Keep tapping it until you get to a menu. Select the option for Safe Mode with Network support. Hit the enter key. Windows will boot into safe mode. Your desktop will look much different in safe mode and your graphics will be poor. This is normal and no cause for concern as Safe Mode only loads basic drivers.

To reboot back into normal mode, just reboot the computer, but don't hit any keys, let it boot normally.

Check out this:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/lofiversion....php/t4559.html

It's a lengthy thread, however there is a possible solution about 1/3 down the page. Go to the Edit Menu (Firefox or IE) and select: "Find on this page". For IE, a pop-window will appear, in Firefox a bar will appear at the bottom of the page.

Enter this EXACTLY as shown: 08:06 PM
Your page will jump down to the post by LS CalamityJane. Read that, and the ones below it. It talks about DNS servers or something.

A shot in the dark....but maybe you should check it out. :thumbsup:

#14 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

It talks about DNS servers or something.

Well, I did one better and just looked at the newest posts on the Lavasoft board:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=8112

And their standard response seems to be:

There are many users with the same problem at the moment.
We believe it is caused by a change of ISP or a change in the DNS configuration.

Changing your DNS server configuration might do the trick.

Edit the DNS servers used in Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties of your Local Area Connection.

If you use Earthlink as ISP (or ISP owned by Earthlink) you can try this solution (provided by Earthlink) for working your way around the problem:
http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=187117

I'm not willing to mess around with this DNS stuff... Anytime I change something on my computer, it just leads to another issue and more time wasted. :flowers: :trumpet:

I'm assuming that this is something that will fix itself at some point? And that it's a problem on Lavasoft's end of things, right?

I'm going to hold off on doing your test for now... but is there still any point in trying it if it is a DNS thing on Lavasoft's end? I mean, that's their issue, not mine in my computer, is that correct?

Thanks for the post and help/thoughts! :thumbsup:

#15 sunriseal

sunriseal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

That's exactly it. It hangs at 5% for like a second then says "Error Retrieving Update".

Thoughts? Thanks!

Same problem here.. has been going on for a number of days now..

Can't get to the Lavasoift Support forums either... connection keeps trying ...

No problems with ANY other web sites, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users