Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone Has Hijacked My Email Address.what Can I Do About It

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rapla

rapla

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

For the past 24 hours I have been receiving Thousands of emails returned as undeliverable.These emails have got my email address but I did not send out the original messages and Know nothing about them.
Several of the returned emails are saying that the email is (<[email protected]> Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL from you )
What can I do to stop having my email address used like this.
Rapla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 8,944 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

What is happening is someone (a spammer) has spoofed your email address, making it appear as if you sent the mails. This is a very common tactic, and there really isn't much you can do to stop it. Mostly you have to wait it out, spammers won't use an address for very long. One way to think of what's going on-your neighbor writes a letter, puts it in an envelope with a stamp on it, and uses YOUR home address as the return address. Most likely no one has "hijacked" your email address to the point where he/she can access it.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

It's easy to hijack a persons email account. Depending on the email account (and maybe not).. all a person needs to do is send you an email, and if click on the link provided inside of it, you will have then exposed your password to the account. They know the username, because that's how they the email to you.

Your email account is finished. And if I were you, as long as I live, I'd never use it again.

I've talked about email security here and there, and the most important thing to do is to never use an email account setup for you from your isp. And another point to remember is that if you do not know the source of the email, don't clink on any links within it.................. and if you want to hear something really mind boggling, you should never even open up any emails if you don't know who it came from.

And let me give you a warning now. If you know what you know about your email address, and then you still use it, you're asking for more trouble than you thought you had.

Email security isn't hard at all, and you definitely don't need any special softwares or such... you just need to know that you can not ever give out your real email address to anyone. Let it forward to your real email address, if you want..... but reply back to it, using a different email address.

There are more ways than you think to prevent others from hijacking you, all without software intervention.

DO NOT USE THAT EMAIL ACCOUNT AGAIN!

Trust me on this one... there are plenty of FREE ones out there. As a matter of fact, there is a FREE one that will dispose of the email address after a specified period of time, automatically.

Know the facts, and protect your privacy, including your emails.

#4 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

Every email system should have a report spam option. Check all of the spammers emails and click report spam.
But I agree with walkman and don't ever use that email again.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Global Moderator
  • 8,944 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Walkman and IDK, good points about the email. Something I didn't think of because that's not something I've ever experienced. Spoofing of my address has happened a few times, which is why I mentioned it. If the OP's mail account has been hacked into, it's best to delete the account. AFTER saving any legitimate mails and the address book.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:48 PM

As of now, reporting spam will do little good, if any. You can mask your real ip address, and that alone is all you need to do to avoid detection.

But if you're going to salvage the information from your email account, do it,, then change the password... and just forget about that account. And the reason for doing that is at least you're not just letting them continue to log into your account, ... which I'm sure they've done. They may still use it to spam, but at least they'll never see the results of their selfish deeds.

If you really feel threatened by their actions, just email the email company and tell them to cancel the account, which they're probably going to do sooner than you think, if they're getting complaints about that email address and the spam. And then again, they may not close it out, because alot of companies know that people do exactly what happened to you.

#7 rapla

rapla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:21 AM

Thank you Queen-evie,Walkman and Idk for your help and advise which I have taken note of and will now act on.
I feel a bit more confident now that i have this information.
I am still getting a few returned emails but it is definatly decreasing over the last 12 hours.
Thanks again everybody.
Rapla

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Global Moderator
  • 8,944 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

If it decreases, it's most likely someone spoofing your address. Moniter the situation for a few days, then decide if you want to keep the account or close it out.

Here is an article you can read about email spoofing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,021 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

Hi rapla,

I'm not sure if that is spoofing. Do the emails say that the email address you mentioned using the rufus.home.tld domain belongs to you? I did a whois on that domain and it doesn't exist. You may be dealing with being infected with a worm that has put you on a botnet where a spammer has installed a mailer daemon and using your machine to mail out spam. That has gotten more common lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

Have you run your antivirus and noticed any infections lately? I would suggest running it in safe mode in any event. Then run the online scans in the Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log for a second opinion. And it wouldn't hurt to post a log--you've used our services before. :thumbsup: I could be wrong but we can check it out to see.
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland--Paul Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users