Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Jittery Mouse Cursor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Swanheart

Swanheart

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:41 PM

I know it sounds strange, but my optical mouse is acting really bizarre. When it's left sitting still, the cursor moves on its own; right now it's slowly but steadily making a jittery path toward the top of my screen. The mouse itself is for the most part, not working well at all. Just to make it move a little bit, I have to move it all the way across my mouse pad, which is soft and has worked fine for other optical mice I've used. This mouse is nearly new; only a few weeks old. When I pick it up, the light underneath flashes for a little bit, then turns steady. Sometimes when I pick up and set it back down, this makes the jittering stop; other times it causes it.

When I did a virus scan with AVG, it reported two "changes" in Windows system 32. I couldn't really tell what those changes were or how to correct them. Are these things related?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

If the mouse came with software, see if there are any updates or it. And also, if it did come with software, uninstall it, and then reboot, then reinstall it.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,556 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

I know very little about an optical mouse. Did it come with a CD for installing drivers for it or were you required to download them. Look in the control panel and make sure your new mouse is being recognized and not another mouse.
I do know that an optical mouse does not require a pad, so what happens if you use your desk surface without the pad?
Is it still under warranty?

It is normal that AVG shows that files, the MBR or Boot record to have changed. These are done during normal maintainance, when you or windows updates files or have had to correct errors on the drive. The only time that you should worry is if they also show as infected.

To get AVG to quit showing them as changed, open the AVG Test Center, click the F3 key on your keyboard and tell it to accept the changes. If it still shows something as changed after this.. delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ and AVG will rebuild it the next time it is run.

Edited by buddy215, 24 March 2007 - 05:16 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#4 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

I tried without the mouse pad, and it doesn't really make a difference.

I never needed to install the software on the CD before, but I'll give it a try. I have Windows XP Professional, and I've never had to install any extra software, but I'll still try.

Thanks for the info!

#5 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Just double-checked, and the mouse didn't come with any software (had the CD confused with the CD for my keyboard)

My computer and the mouse are brand new; I only got them a month ago. It may still be under warranty; I'll have to check.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,556 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

Did you check to see if your computer is recognizing the mouse in the control panel?
Do you have Vista? If you do, you might want to Google the name of your mouse for conflicts or problems with Vista. Like " (name of your mouse) conflicts with Vista". Or go to the manufacturer's site. They may have a forum where you can ask for help.
Did you get any literature with the mouse? It may have instructions for installing drivers, etc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#7 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:31 PM

No, I have Win XP Professional.

There weren't any CDs, instructions or software with it, and I actually haven't been able to find a manufactuer. My computer is a custom job, so I'm trying to get in touch with my builder.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,556 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

Okay, but if you look in control panel and click on the mouse, you should be able to see info on it.
Here is a link to a program everyone should have on their computer. It tells you everything about what your hardware and software and more.
http://www.gtopala.com/

Lawrence M. Krauss

#9 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:18 AM

All it says about the mouse is "PS/2 Compatible Mouse"

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,556 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

Good morning, Here is a link to info on some adjustments you can make to the mouse behavior. You can also allow Windows to find driver(s) for you.
http://www.dq.winsila.com/tips-tricks/twea...erformance.html

Lawrence M. Krauss

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Optical Mouse Troubleshooting
http://www.auldfart.co.uk/mousea.htm
http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...1.asp&guid=
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#12 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the links, guys.

I bought a new mouse and that seems to have solved the problem for now, but I'll check out those links.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users