Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Computer Crowded With Pre-installed Programs

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 azulite

azulite

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hi :)

I just Got a dell laptop, running on WinXp Pro (media center) and it came loaded with pre-installed programs. I am doing the clean-up in startup and trying to clean up programs too. I did use several tools to remove some programs, like the de-crapifier and so far so good, I did remove alot. The thing is i am quite new to windows xp, and i am getting quite chicken at uninstalling some stuff as I have no clue if I need them or not.

Here some programs I have that I dont know if i can or should remove them or just leave them be. (these are the ones that appear in the add/remove programs) What are they?

-URL assistant
-Searchassist
-Otto
-Netwaiting

and then i have bunch of "players" I don't know if i should keep them all there.
-learn2 player
-Quick time
-Realplayer basic
-windows media player
(i already deleted espn motion, viewpoint)

---Thank you ahead for your time---
ps. if i should fragment this post in two posts, let me know.

Azulite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

This may be just what you are looking for.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/78461/decrapifying-the-craplets-on-a-new-pc/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

Thanks buddy215

That is the program i have already used so far to clean the computer. The things i have not yet removed with it, is because I have am not sure if that should be removed (example: run registrey entries).

These programs below are not part of de crap being decrapified by the decrapifyer :thumbsup:

Here some programs I have that I dont know if i can or should remove them or just leave them be. (these are the ones that appear in the add/remove programs) What are they?

-URL assistant
-Searchassist
-Otto
-Netwaiting

Any clues what should I do with these 4 progs?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,392 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:59 PM

Need more info on what you can find out about those. Google is no help for Otto. Url assistant is sometimes used by a browser helper to complete an url or correct it and possibly to send you to a site for ad revenue purposes. Same with search assistants. Have you noticed being redirected to a site other than what you were searching for? Have you looked in IE's "Addons" to see if they are there? I am curious what you can find about OTTO.
By the way, how did the decrapifier do? Any problems?

netwaiting.exe provides a mechanism to suspend a dialup internet connection on the modem line while the user uses the line for a voice communication. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

Just to add to what buddy215 posted.

URL assistant - haven't been able to find any information about what this is. Nobody even claims the program as their own. It appears to be a redirect to a Dell search results page populated with pay-per-click ads, when you don't use the WWW, when typing an URL into the address bar.
I have found out that a lot of people are removing it, without any adverse effects to their systems. It's recommended that you uninstall it in Safe Mode, as it doesn't appear to uninstall in Normal mode.
A couple more links to check out:
http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49330
http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-softwa...ps-came-my.html
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...ssage.id=183758

Searchassist - seems to be related to the above. People are also removing this, too. (read links above)

Otto - Couldn't find anything on this. This is the only mention of Dell, and Otto, that I could find

Netwaiting
- provides a mechanism to suspend a dialup internet connection on the modem line while the user uses the line for a voice communication. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...ary/netwaiting/
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

I searched about otto too but didn't find much.. apart something related to games (?) Ill look more into it and post what i got here.

Okay here about otto.
The full name appear to be "englishOtto"
Seems related to windows media center and related to game.. (or playing games from win media center or creating games..) When i try to open things related to it or the htm/html docs in otto file the IE blocks it :thumbsup: Gee i wish all programs would come with a readme file with some useful information.

And about searchassistant and URL assistant, I can't say i have noticed being redirect or anything, I have only used internet to only do updates, no browsing or anything.

***And thanks tq 1911, I will look into the links you posted.***
----
azulite

Edited by azulite, 17 March 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:28 PM

You're welcome, azulite.
I hope they're of some help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:04 PM

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-softwa...ps-came-my.html
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...ssage.id=183758

were quite useful. and after searching my computer (should have done that first.. ) searchassist was located in the dell folder :thumbsup:

didn't find anything on the computer about URL assistant. it just appear in the add/remove. so i removed it :flowers:

Thanks again guys and/or girls :trumpet:

#9 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

Tsk. I am back :thumbsup:

Okay I deleted a lot of the stuff (to not say crap) that was pre-instlled on my computer :trumpet: (dell inspiron laptop/win XP Pro media center) I defragmented the whole thing and tried to clean it as much as I could but the registry... I am not enough knowledge-able in that field to feel confident in playing there.

In one of the pinned topic somewhere in bleepingcomputer they suggested to download Eusing free registry scan. I did and I scanned my computer. 534 problems were found. My question is are the 534 problems safe to "repair".

(ps I know there is a datebase where i can look up the different entries.. but looking 534 seems a lot.. is there some guide-lines or type of error that without looking at the database for each single entry I should be able to "repair" safely?)

I have these different types of "errors":

Invalid files or folders
Software Location Issue
Invalid Help File
Missing shared Dll
Missing startup program (which says google desktop.. I deleted that program)
Add/remove program issues
Unused File extensions
Custom control issues
Obsolete software key
Old start menu key
Missing Shortcut reference
ActiveX issue
Missing MRU and History lists File
Installer Reference Issue

Thanks for you help. Not sure If i should have started a new thread .. let me know.. I know how to copy and paste :flowers:

_________
Azulite

Edited by azulite, 18 March 2007 - 05:05 PM.

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

Thought I'd drop my 2.673 cents here, it appears the "Otto" is from a potentially nasty company called "Wild Tangent". Wild Tangent makes games, it seems, and most likely "Otto" is a means to deliver those games, or may be a game in itself. Most Spyware scanners classify stuff from Wild Tangent as bad, so I would remove it were it my computer.

Wild Tangent at Wikipedia

I read an article about the Dell Dimension XPS 400 where they talked about Otto, and got a response from Wild Tangent:

We were contacted by Alex St. John, CEO of Wild Tangent. He let us know that Otto was a game licensed by MS for use in the MCE OS, and that is why it was preinstalled. Furthermore, their Wild Tangent Webdrivers is part of the "Play Games" option you have on the XPS desktop, and from my understanding, is basically a content delivery system akin to Valve's Steam. And to be sure, none of our spyware programs notified us that this, or any other pre-installed software from Dell posed any kind of security threat

x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#11 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

Sweet! Another program to un-install :) Thanks that was all I needed to go ahead and delete it. :) Thanks Your 2.673 cents was worth a good 1.978$ :P

---------
Azulite

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:38 PM

Great! You can Paypal me the remaining $1.95127!

Nah, you can keep it.

x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#13 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

haha Good try, Amazin' Andrew :)

Should I post the registery question in one of the other forum? I keep looking at the Eusing result and I am so tempted to repair the 534.. but I am chicken and I dont want to mess it all up and have to re-install and then un-install all the crap i suspect to be on the cd i got :P

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,392 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

Maybe this will help you make up your mind:
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t...egistry+cleaner

Lawrence M. Krauss

#15 azulite

azulite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

Thanks buddy215.
Great link.

I will for now avoid touching the registry (so i am better just stop scanning it.. as the results are really making me want to do something about the 534 errors :P)

And noob like me.. and with my usual luck, I'd prolly hae my computer never starting up again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users