Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Unable To Scan Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 magfee

magfee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hi im new to computers have you any idea why these files are not being scanned?
fall scan run with avast, nothing shows as infected, but some files unable to scan.
The reason given is CAB and RAR archives are corrupted.
Is this normal how can i fix it? Was going to post corrupted files but results have dissapeared.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

Welcome at BC magfee Why not try the following
In normal mode, run an online antivirus check from at least two and preferably three of the following sites
BitDefender
Computer Associates Online Virus Scan
Panda's ActiveScan
Trend Micro Housecall
Windows Live Safety Center Free Online Scan
This scanner from Trend does not require an Active X to run.

1. Detects and removes malware ( viruses, worms, trojans, etc. )
2. Detects and removes grayware and spyware
3. Restores damage caused by malware to your system.
4. Notifies about vulnerabilities in installed programs and connected network services.
5. Multi-platform support for: Windows, Linux, Solaris.
6. Easy-to-use with the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

and post the results

That they are corrupted can have different reasons, for instance if they were downloaded via P2P applications like Limewire or that your harddisk was full ect etc

#3 magfee

magfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hi, this is magfees son as my mum has gone to walk the dogs at the moment and to be honest, probably wouldnt understand what is going on :thumbsup:.

I got her to run the panda scan you suggested Fozzie as I've used it before and it was very good. I ran into some differences though that seem strange.

Firstly, its taking aaages just to start up. Usually when I use it on my computer it will go onto "scanning processes in memory" for only a short while before goig onto scanning different files.

Im doing another scan now as im wondering whether or not it did actually scan or not. Ill post back again when it finishes with a more detaled post.

What I wanted to know was whether or not I was right in getting mum to scan my computer. Is that right or should it have been c drive?

#4 magfee

magfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

(Still her son here)

Right. here goes,

It didnt say which files where being scanned. It just said scanning processes in memory. This is different as whenever ive used it it tells me what files it is scanning.

Also, the progress bar didnt do anything. When I scan my computer with this it gradually goes up. This time after around 15 minutes it just went straight to there are no viruses etc.

Im going to start one of the other scans for her that you suggested fozzie and see what happens.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

I suggest you take the Microsoft one and see whether there any other issues.
Corrupted CAB and RAR files most of the times implicate a faulty installation.
If you could identify which CAB files are corrupted we might ne able to surce the problem. Another, alternative , way could be is :

START RUN type eventvwr and look for white crosses in red dots or exclamation marks. Event viewer tut

#6 magfee

magfee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

(still son)

You read my mind fozzie :thumbsup:. I done the windows one care as I sometimes use that too. It hasnt detected any viruses or spyware, etc. Apart from some needed disk defragmentation it seems fine. Ill have a look into the corrupted files now. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users