Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Recovery Disk....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

I have a couple computers, one being a dell. My sister also has a dell and is having OS probs.....My question is, she cannot find her recovery disk and wants me to fix it for her.....Can I use my recovery disk ( I have the license sticker)??? I mean it is a dell right.....or am I not going to sleep at nite knowing that she may be pirated software??!! I dunno what to do....she has said F dell and wants to buy a new computer...what to ya'll think??

I was also thinking about throwing in my disc and trying to repair......but if that does not work....read above...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:15 PM

Well first off. I think what you want to do is illegal. I'm not going to give you a YES DO IT, or a NO DONT DO IT! but yes it would work.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

A bit of IFY ,

The BleepingComputer.com User Agreement Rule number Four reads as follows;

"Rules of Use"
Obey the Law. You agree not to use this Service for any illegal purposes or for the transmission of material that is unlawful, harassing, libelous (untrue and damaging to others), invasive of another's privacy, abusive, threatening, or obscene, or that infringes the copyrights (rights of an owner of written material) or other intellectual property of others.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:18 AM

I don't think there is anything illegal in using your disk in you sister's computer. But (there's always a but) you have to use her product key to validate the OS, not yours. If you use your product key on her computer then that would be illegal. The product keys are not tied to individual disks so you can use any disk. Her product key should be on a sticker on the side of her case.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

This is a difficult question. First, if the product key is asked for - then the media is immaterial. But if it doesn't ask for the product key - than it's likely to be an illegal installation.

If the restore CD's include the chipset and other major component drivers - then there could be serious issues with trying this path. I'd suggest ordering another set of CD's from Dell just to be safe.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

I am off the hook.....she is going to Bestbuy this week-end and buying a new one........Hey maybe I can get some spare parts now??!!

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Ahh.. spare parts! I just love spare parts! Don't you?

x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users