Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Of A Sudden I Can't Hear Sound On My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dando

Dando

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

I'm using an Advent PC laptop which has worked fine (barring a problem with a Trojan virus which was sorted out via this site). However, since yesterday or maybe Friday, I can no longer listen to CD's when they are placed in the PC nor can I listen to my Itunes tracks. I keep getting a message to say that there is no audio hardware available or there is a fault. Or a message sayign there is no audio mixer. I can hear sound when the PC boots up and if someone MSN's me, I can hear sound so the card or whatever must be working but I cannot hear CD's or Itunes or You Tube. I have not, knowingly, removed anythign from the hardware so why is this happening?

I have gone to Control Panel, Add Hardware etc, but al the options are greyed out. How can I reinstall or sound?

Sorry to sound a bit vague but I am not the worlds most knowledgeable PC person. I just want my sound back and I don't know how it got turned off or deleted in the first place.

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

hello,

If you right click on mycomputer and select properties, go to the hardware tab and click device manager. are there any errors or conflicts? (exclamation marks or crosses or question marks to the left of the icons)
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Dando

Dando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

Nope if I do as you suggest I see pluses (ie crosses) next to all the icons - starting at the top with batteries and going right down to Universal Seriel Bus controllers. If I go into Souind, Video and game controller, each one tells me that they are working properly. I am given the option to Troubleshoot if one isn't working properly but that just takes me to the Phillips Support centre and that doesnt appear to get me anywhere. I just wonder whether inadvertently I've got rid of some software or whether the software has been turned off.

I can hear people IM'ng me etc but I can't play music. I get a message to say that an audio mixer device is not turned on or something. I'm just very confused One minute it worked, the next it didn't.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,838 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

This may not be what you need because you can still hear other sounds. But it's worth a try.
Start menu/Control Panel/Sounds And Audio Devices.
(or if you an icon in tray next to the clock, click on that).
If you use Control Panel, a box will open. Volume tab. Click ADVANCED. Play Control will open up.
Using the tray icon will open Play Control.
Click Options, check Advance Controls, then Properties. Put a checkmark next to everything if they aren't all marked. Click OK. See if anything is muted. (Don't worry if you unmute one thing and something else gets muted, this is normal. You can change it back easily).

At this point put in a cd, let it start playing, make sure the volume is up.
Click on Advanced in the Play Control panel. Do you see 1 Digital Output Only? If it's not checked, check it.
If you hear sound, that's the cure. If you don't, uncheck it and keep searching for a solution.

You mention "I can hear sound so the card or whatever must be working"-so you are using a sound card?

#5 Dando

Dando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

Nope, I tried that earlier. I go into Control Panel/Sounds Audio Devices/Click on Volume and it shows an icon of a speaker or something and has No Audio Device next to it. Everything else below that is greyed out including the Advanced Button / Device Volume / Speaker Settings etc.

When I refer to a sound card - No I have never inserted one into this laptop but as I've always been able to hear sound since I got th PC in Oct 06, I presume that somewhere inside it, there is a sound card or device for making / hearing noise. Whatever, or wherever this is has been switched off or something as now I don't get any noise at all save the pinging noise when someone logs onto IM or pings you a message on IM. If I #click on my Itunes icon I get the message "Itunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Visual may not work properly" Unfortunately, it does not give you the option to find out why it doesn't work properly or to make it right.

I don't know what I've done or not done to have this problem. I have not knowingly, deleted any files.
Thanks for any help

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R. I. T.S. (and proud of it)

• Global Moderator
  • 9,838 posts
  •  
  • Location:Tuscaloosa, Alabama. No, I am not an Alabama fan. WAR EAGLE!!!
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

If the computer doesn't have a sound card, then it's using on-board sound. You may have to reboot and go into BIOS to see if it's been somehow disabled. If it has been, and you enable it, it may not be what was causing the problem. I seriously doubt it's been disabled, but once again worth a look see.

Something is missing. You might try going to Windows Update and checking to see if any audio updates are found under OTHER. (I think that's what the category is called).

I just thought of something, usually when everything you mention is grayed out, it's because the drivers aren't installed. Check Windows Updates. Do this before going into BIOS. Even if it has been disabled there, the drivers would still be installed.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 February 2007 - 06:33 PM.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:16 AM

If you can find out what make of onboard sound processor you are using, you can go straight to the manufacturer and download the drivers from there.

if you go back to device manager, under audio devices can you list whats there?
Regards,

Alan.

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:59 AM

Sounds like a bit of an odd one - pardon the punn! What make is your laptop? any details would help!!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#9 Dando

Dando
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:40 AM

I uninstalled and then reinstalled Quick Time Player, logged off and then logged on again and hey presto, it seems to be working. I can now hear my iTunes and play CD's etc!! I have no idea whether that did the trick or whether it was something else, but at the moment it seems to be working so fingers crossed, I've solved the mystery. Thanks for all your help.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

no probs, glad it worked
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users