Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 Link Won't Open - Prompts Me To Save The File Or Find A Program To Open It With

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notb4coffee

notb4coffee

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

This is a weird problem I've not seen before and I could use some help or someone to point me in the right direction. I searched the forum with no luck.
I'm assuming this is an issue related only to my machine and not an IE7 problem.
:-(

When I click on this link (or one in similar format on the same page), the new window will initially begin to open. Then the new browser instance is redirected to another site....which seems fine & the page switches to the new address, then suddenly the window disappears and the "File Download-Security Warning" box appears and asks if I want to save the file or find a program online to open it with:
Program Name: browserRedirect
Type: Unknown File Type

Clicking on "Find" takes me to the Windows File Association web page where it says that windows does not recognize this MIME type.

Here's the actual link:
//click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=DKrkLM3KmGA&offerid=78941&type=3&subid=0&tmpid=1826&RD_PARM1=http%253A%252F%252Fphobos.apple.com%252FWebObjects%252FMZStore.woa%252Fwa%252FviewAlbum%253Fi%253D27672884%2526id%253D27672964%2526s%253D143441%2526partnerId%253D30
If I need to register a file type, I don't where to start! I scrolled through all the file types in My Computer and honestly, I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Could this be related to some corrupted mime file or something?

I'm running Windows XP SP2 Home with the security settings on their default settings (for the most part), but I had even temporarily switched everything to the lowest settings for troubleshooting purposes and also ran IE with no add-ons, but still no luck. Also switched the "open pages based on content" to enable.

BTW, the link works fine on another machine offsite running XP Pro with IE7 and also a third running WINME with IE6.

Ran Spybot, with nothing found.
We use Kerio personal firewall and AVG antivirus.
I stopped all 3 programs on two occasions for troubleshooting too, but no change.

Any ideas?
Help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Mary

Edited by KoanYorel, 21 February 2007 - 12:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:41 AM

First try this :

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

If that does't work please run Online Microsft test (IE required) to rle further issues.

#3 notb4coffee

notb4coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the help, Fozzie. It took me all day yesterday to download, scan and work through the steps you listed, so that's why I'm just now posting a reply.

Here are the results:

SuperAntispyware Free--3 tracking cookies were found and deleted.
(All 3 were known to me because they're for affiliate programs I belong to and use.)

Ran the scan in Safe Mode, too. All clear.

The Windows Live Onecare was a whole different story. After finally finishing the downloads and getting to the scan page (chose every option it offered), it took forever. Yep, I'm on dial-up. This morning I checked the progress and the scan had finished and redirected to a "Results" page. It found over 500 registry entries needing "fixed", but it won't let me click the "next" button to fix anything. I'm getting an "Internet Explorer Script Error" telling me an error has occured on the page every time I try to click on it. The error is: object expected and the URL is "about: blank". It asks me if I want to continue running scripts on the page, and I select "yes" and we just keep going around in circles---getting nowhere fast. Selecting "no" gave me the same problem.
I don't have a pop-up blocker enabled and I put the site in my trusted zone. No luck.
I even started the scan over, just selecting the Registry scan this time, with the same results and problem with the button.

I checked the MS Home Security Forum just to see if anyone else was having the same issue with the page but didn't find anything related. (LOTS of OTHER issues, tho!) I also tried the Help section on the Onecare page, but I won't even go into how bad of an experience THAT was!

Can you recommend any other scans or steps that I could try?

Thanks again :-)

Mary

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:50 PM

I tried the link and it worked for me. Going over your "experiance "with One Care you clicked on full scan ( using IE) and than accepted the agreement, than start?

#5 notb4coffee

notb4coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Update:
The problem ended up being an internet options setting under the "Advanced" tab:
the settings for http 1.1 can NOT be set to use a proxy server.
Exactly WHY it was set to that is unknown to me, but at least this problem is fixed as of this evening.

I managed to clean up the registry by using a recommended program (Eusing Free) found in the link for the forum topic included in your signature:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

As far as Onecare, the answer to your question is yes. I selected the full scan and accepted the agreement. Everything seemed to scan without a problem, then the results page displayed with all the apparent errors. I checked all the entries for the registry problems to be fixed and then tried to click on the "next" button. That's when the error happened. I couldn't click on it or tab and select it with the enter key. Script error---every time.

At least the problem is fixed for now---PLUS I have a really good registry cleaner along with several other leads for even more free, handy programs that I'm sure I could put to good use to keep our systems runnning smoothly & securely.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your efforts!
:-)

Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users