Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Won't Boot Repair Cd From Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

My stepson has a Gateway laptop that gives a "unmountable boot volume' error(blue screen) when I try to startup the computer.
Earlier I changed the BIOS order and it booted from XP reinstall disk and it started loading, but the darn battery died and the laptop shutdown midway thru the loading. It won't give me the 'press any key to boot from CD' prompt anymore. What could cause that?
I want to run a Chkdsk/f....how do I do that if I can't it to startup?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

As I recall, pressing F11 will get you into the Gateway recovery program. We recently had this problem at work and finally traced the problem to a bad hard drive (although this isn't the only possibility).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yeah I tried the Recovery option, but it asks for the recovery cd(which he doesn't have). Why would it give me the 'press any key to boot from cd' one time, but now it won't. The battery dying wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?
I can hear the cd drive spinning(when it tries to boot from it), but the cursor just blinks and nothing happens.

#4 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

I just got the xp disk to start loading, but got a "usbehci.sys is corrupted' message. I hit a key to continue and it gave me 'setup failed'. What now?
How can I run chkdsk? The farthest I can get is the 'safe menu'. Any option I try won't load windows. I want to get in DOS mode(i think that's what it's called) so I can run a chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r(repair?) to try and get the trouble fixed.

#5 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

I'd suggest a BartPE disk with some utilities loaded - or an Ultimate Boot CD in order to perform further diagnostics on the system.

It could be a bad disk, or it could be a bad motherboard, hard drive, CD drive, etc. It'll take diagnostics to figure out what's wrong. A new mobo from an authorized repair center runs around $500 (in my experience).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:24 PM

I'm in the process of downloading the Ultimate Boot CD(large download!). I got the XP reinstall disk to start again, but it didn't give a me a screen where I could 'repair', It did give the scren where it shows the partitions(Recovery partition (FAT32) and the partition where everything else was, but going that route I would have to wipe the hard drive clean.

#7 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

As I recal the XP disk shows the option to repair on the 3rd screen - but only if you pick the "Install" option in the first screen. This link may describe it a bit better: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
- John

#8 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

As I recal the XP disk shows the option to repair on the 3rd screen - but only if you pick the "Install" option in the first screen. This link may describe it a bit better: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
- John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users