Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hello, I am working on a windows xp sp2 home edition computer. I originally had the AVG free antivirus on the computer, but it quit working, so I tried to repair the installation. When I went to install the software it would quit and disappear right in the middle of the installation. So, I completely removed it and tried again and had the same results.

So, then I tired to install AVAST to see if it was a problem with AVG and it does the same thing, it gets to the agreement and quits after the next window and just dissapears.

I am able to run online virus scans and the only thing that came up was with bitdefender, it found a file:
C:\windows\cmmonsvc32.exe but said it could not fix or delete it and that I was still infected. So I went into safe mode and removed it and lost my cdrw drive. So, I did a system restore and put it back.

I have ran a2 square free, a2 square antidialer, Ad-aware, cwshredder, LSP fix, spybot, spy sweeper, trendmicro, bitdefender and Aim fix. And I am not finding any issues.

I was having connection issues, I would lose connection after about 5 or 10 minutes, but that seems to be fixed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:08 PM

Info Klick
please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. About half way down are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:29 PM

More than likely the uninstall didn't work. follow the steps below to uninstall.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/7/lng/us/tpl/tp...t/7.155?num=156

Click on Start > All Programs > AVG 7.5 > Uninstall AVG Anti-virus for Windows.
If you experience any problems with the uninstallation procedure, please follow the steps below:

Download the latest installation file of AVG from http://www.grisoft.com/doc/programs/lng/us...fht/7.155-7.288
After downloading, run this file and choose the Uninstall Product option in the Select Setup Type dialog.
Finish the uninstall process.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

Thank you both. I did uninstall properly according to the site, but thanks for the link. I am going to send the Hijack log to the forum and see what they may find. Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

:thumbsup:
Well, I think I have found the problem. Now I need to research and find out more about what it is.
I noticed a service running called "cdmonsvc32" it was listed as "unknown" I unchecked it and restarted, then I was able to install zonealarm, avg and avast. I removed avast and will use the avg again. Everything loaded with no problems.
Now I need to know what it is and if I need to do something further to remove it, I only stopped the service from running. I will post anything I find and welcome any further help. Thanks for all of your time !! :flowers:

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for advising the HJT Team that you have resolved your initial problem, and what you have done to do so, since this may invalidate the data in the HJT Log, and will help the Team Member focus on other issues.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 February 2007 - 08:06 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

Just wanted to give the final solution to my problem. I went to Msconfig and then the Services, unchecked the cdmonsvc32 service and restarted the computer. From there I was able to install my antivirus (AVG)
software and the firewall (Zone Alarm). Then I ran a scan at bitdefender.com and it located the remaining file and deleted it. I turned off the system restore and restarted the computer. Started the system restore back again and ran another bitdefender scan and I am clean. There is not a lot of information on this virus that I could find, but I did find some. Hope this was helpful. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users