Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Processes Need To Be Running On Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jighead45

jighead45

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:59 AM

My computer is acting strange lately and I think there are way too many process running in the background. How do you determine which ones need to be running and which you can safely turn off?

Thanks,

AC

Forgot to put the number. There are 53 processes running.

Edited by jighead45, 08 February 2007 - 04:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:04 AM

Download Autoruns from here and see which programs do startup. At the same time search for Process Explorer in the freeware section which is a very informative tool on which processes are running. If any doubt simply post here and we will try to help you

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

At the top of this page is a series of tabs. Use the Startup List tab to research the items running on start up; the BC list will indicate whether the item is needed, optional, or should be deleted from your startup configuration.
As a word of warning, if you are not completely sure about what an item does, or whether it is necessary to the operating system, do not delete it, but seek the advice of our Members first.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 22,878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:19 AM

You might also want to have a look through your services and disable anything that you don't need.

Black Viper's Windows XP Services Configuration Guide
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

This link works.

#6 jighead45

jighead45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

Thanks- all good information, in particular the "Major Geeks" link. Tons of good stuff there.

I turned off several of the processes and have suffered no ill effects so far. I have a bunch of stuff listed that is not on the Major Geeks list, so I'll just turn off those that don't look critical and see what happens.

The biggest probelm is I'm in Iraq and since I know more than most of the other guys, I'm sort of the "computer guy" when something goes haywire, which it does quite often. There is only 1 local guy who knows anything and he's way too quick to wipe a hard drive and start over.

I've got lots of information from this site in the past and decided to register as I'm getting more and more requests to fix stuff. Viruses are rampant here.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

AC

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:28 AM

We are always here to provide information or help if you need it, so don't hesitate to post about a problem that you cannot easily resolve.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 39,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

Also be sure to read through this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33012/how-to-use-the-startup-database/

for startups other than services. Though our startup database does contain services, not only default Windows services like Blackvipers page, the explanation of services at blacvipers page is excellent. So be sure to use both resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users