Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Running All The Time On My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 monika

monika

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knew what to do with it...the fan seems to run all the time from the very moment I turn the laptop on. It also seems to be getting quite hot even though the fan should cool it down (shouldn't it?)...the fan is also very noisy as it seems to running really fast. The strangest thing is that it even runs when I don't do anything on the laptop for quite long. I am bit concerned it is going to overheat and go bananas.

Thanks a lot for any help..

Monika xxx

Edited by monika, 01 February 2007 - 06:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:22 PM

What kind of laptop do you have? Have you checked google for fan problems for your particular model?

Posted Image

#3 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:45 AM

What kind of laptop do you have? Have you checked google for fan problems for your particular model?

Hello,

I have checked google, but nothing comes up...the laptop is Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1310G and it is fairly new, bought at Christmas...
I do not know whether there would be any settings for the fan, tried to find something in control panel, but unsuccessful...
Please...Help...

Thanx...Monika

Edited by monika, 03 February 2007 - 05:45 AM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:20 AM

I am bit concerned it is going to overheat and go bananas.

You should be. The fan is running constantly because the cpu is already overheating.
Fujitsu Siemens notebooks are notorious for that and are poorly made.
I'm not "picking" on you monika, just your laptop. :thumbsup:
9 times out of 10 it's because there is little or no thermal compound between the cpu and heatsink.
In some cases, a cpu protective seal was not removed during assembly, thus causing severe overheating.
Since this is a new laptop, you can rule out dust in the heatsink.
Sooner or later the fan will die from overuse and you'll have an expensive door stop.
Take it back. You should not have to put up with this or fix it yourself if it's under warranty.

Edited by HitSquad, 03 February 2007 - 07:22 AM.

#5 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

I am bit concerned it is going to overheat and go bananas.

You should be. The fan is running constantly because the cpu is already overheating.
Fujitsu Siemens notebooks are notorious for that and are poorly made.
I'm not "picking" on you monika, just your laptop. :thumbsup:
9 times out of 10 it's because there is little or no thermal compound between the cpu and heatsink.
In some cases, a cpu protective seal was not removed during assembly, thus causing severe overheating.
Since this is a new laptop, you can rule out dust in the heatsink.
Sooner or later the fan will die from overuse and you'll have an expensive door stop.
Take it back. You should not have to put up with this or fix it yourself if it's under warranty.

Hi,
I know the laptop has got warranty and it would be the simplest solution to return it and get it sorted by those people...the trouble is that I bought the laptop abroad and brought it into UK and now I am stuck with it here until April and am worried that it might get damaged and I need to use it here, so please, if anybody could tell me how to fix this I would really really appreciate it

Thanks so much...
Monika

Edited by monika, 04 February 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#6 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

I remember searching ebay for fun once and found out one of the major selling points of laptops is the fixes of minor things like the ac adapter being resoldered and stuff to make it stay plugged in and powered to the lappy. Another one was similar to the problem your having where the heatsink comes loose from the CPU. There are some of the laptop companies that sell brackets that fix this if you ever run into this problem, but most do not. If you insist on fixing it yourself, I would check to be sure the heatsink is making proper contact with the cpu with enough thermal paste(but not too much) and maybe run the program 'speedfan' to check temperatures.
Good Luck.

#7 hiteckee

hiteckee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:18 AM

Fellow members,

I commend your knowledge of the subject -- you seem to know the quirks of various notebook brands. For instance, the motherboard in my son's Acer just blew up five months out of warrantee. But you probably already knew it would.

Care to share your opinions of the best overall laptop, like a Consumer Reports, so others can benefit? It might even provide guidance for those of us who consider the extended warrantees as rip-offs.

Please let me know if there is another more appropriate place to ask this on bleepingcomputer.

Thank you.

Edited by hiteckee, 05 February 2007 - 08:18 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:24 AM

I prefer Toshiba and HP. I will not buy a Gateway (too many problems at my shop). I don't know about the Acer's yet - we just started carrying them. Dell's seem to be OK, but we don't sell them, so we don't get to see many.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#9 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hello,
I have found somewhere on the internet that this problem might be caused by some film being attached to a thermo cooler on the laptop...I am not quite sure what is a thermo cooler and where to find it or what it looks like...I looked inside though and found a solver looking box with kind of spiky bits on the top, looked underneath and found some kind of gooey stuff in the middle and a see through film around it...is it what I am looking for and should I remove some of this stuff???

Please help...fan is still running like mad and temperatures goes up to 60...

Thanx...Monika

#10 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

Not sure... but on my video card and an older processor I have, the manufacturers made the heatsink with a kind of pad that releases the thermal paste stuff as it heats up. Maybe thats what this is? And if it is, then maybe you should consider putting on some nice arctic silver themal paste. Ive never opened a laptop (just barely got one and will not open it until/if it breaks). And are you sure your looking at the cpu? In desktops, some north bridge chips have heatsinks on them too.

And even though you will find a lot of people online bashing on Dell products and their service, my dad recently bought a dell desktop and i bought a the inspiron 1501 laptop and so far they have been great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users