Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Is Denied Message

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 empty_pockets

empty_pockets

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

I have a prob with System Volume Information folders. I understand the Sys. Vol. Info. folder in the root directory is supposed to be there, but after installing Microsoft's Baseline Security Analyzer a new Sys. Vol. Info. (SVI) folder appeared under C:\ and on my external hard drive J:\.

SVI folders details--
root directory SVI folder:
Size: 49.6MB
Size on disk: 22.8MB
Contents: 44 files, 5 folders

C:\SVI folder--
Same details as root directory SVI folder

J:\SVI folder--
Size: 0 bytes
Size on disk: 0 bytes
Contents: 0 files, 0 folders

I've read VERY many of your posts concerning "Access is denied" probs and tried all the suggestions to delete the 2 "extra" SVI folders. So far, I've tried Killbox, MoveOnBoot, HJT (delete a file on reboot), and followed Microsoft's Article 308421 (How To Take Ownership Of A File Or Folder In Windows XP) in Safe Mode with no success whatsoever.

In Killbox nothing happens. In MoveOnBoot nothing happens. In HJT when I choose the J:\SVI folder, this message appears: J:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.

I can delete the 2 offending SVI folders in Safe Mode using Microsoft's article, but upon rebooting into normal Windows, the 2 folders magically reappear as if I hadn't done a thing.

I realize that I can hide these folders by checking that item in Tools>Folder Options>View, but I want to be able to see those particular folders/files. This is how I noticed this prob to begin with. I'd like these 2 SVI folders GONE because I don't believe they were there before.

I'm hoping that someone can help me solve this irritation because it's about to drive me to drink (more than I already do). If anyone has any suggestions, please don't go guru on me because I know just enough about pc's to be dangerous. Thanks in advance for ANY new help.

Windows XP Home w/Media Center, SP2
HP Pavilion a1412n
Intel 2.8 GHz Pentium D w/Viiv technology
512MB RAM
C:\ drive--
Samsung SP2004C, 177GB, NTFS file system
J:\ drive--
Maxtor 6L200R0 USB external enclosed, AC power, 189GB, NTFS file system
DSL internet connection
all Microsoft updates current
AVG Anti-virus, AVG Anti-spyware, SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, Adaware, Windows
Defender, A-squared Free, CCleaner, MS Baseline Security Analyzer has been uninstalled
(all are current versions)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

You cannot remove those folders!!!! They are necessary system folders that contain more than System Restore. These folders will be created on all drives if System Restore ia active.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

Terrorist_75, many thanks for your quick reply. Since I'm not an expert on pc's that's why I'm here asking for help with this. However, could you give me some insight as to why the SVI folder has NEVER been on my J:\ drive nor shown as a folder under C:\? The SVI folder has always been in the root directory as it should be and I understand that that particular SVI folder is a necessary system folder. I'm not questioning your advice--just curious as to why the 2 "extra" SVI folders showed up yesterday and why I can't get rid of them now.

Additionally, the external drive (J:\) shows being offline in System Restore and it's powered on. Hope this might help some more. Your help is greatly appreciated.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:18 PM

I would say somehow you enabled show hidden system files and folders.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

It shows up on the other drives because, for some reason, System Restore was told to monitor those drives. Even if it's stopped, I think the folders will remain.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 empty_pockets

empty_pockets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

Yes Terrorist_75, I did indeed "somehow enabled show files and folders." I keep it that way intentionally. If you refer to my original post:

I realize that I can hide these folders by checking that item in Tools>Folder Options>View, but I want to be able to see those particular folders/files. This is how I noticed this prob to begin with. I'd like these 2 SVI folders GONE because I don't believe they were there before.

Thanks for the input anyway.

usasma, yes the folder does remain even if System Restore is stopped on the external drive J:\, and the duplicate SVI folder under C:\ just irks the heck out of me (actually, BOTH of them do). These showed up after installing MS's Baseline Security Analyzer (now since removed). Just wish I could get it back the way it was and understand why it happened in the first place so I could learn something, but, so far, no solution. Restoring to an earlier restore point doesn't do it either.

Thanks all.

#7 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

These are Windows System files. As I recall, they don't even take up all that much room if they're empty. I'd suggest leaving them alone - it's generally not worth the effort and aggravation to remove them.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#8 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

It is highly recommended not to remove them because they are used for other system files. You could mess up your system by trying to remove them.

What's the deal with the System Volume Information folder?

In the root of every drive is a folder called "System Volume Information". If your drive is NTFS, the permissions on the folder are set so not even administrators can get in there. What's the big secret?

The folder contains information that casual interference could cause problems with proper system functioning. Here are some of the things kept in that folder. (This list is not comprehensive.)

System Restore points. You can disable System Restore from the "System" control panel.

Distributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your shortcuts and linked documents.

Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searches. This is also the source of the cidaemon.exe process: That is the content indexer itself, busy scanning your files and building its database so you can search for them quickly. (If you created a lot of data in a short time, the content indexer service gets all excited trying to index it.)

Information used by the Volume Snapshot Service (also known as "Volume Shadow Copy") so you can back up files on a live system.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 25 January 2007 - 04:22 PM.

Get Your Donor Card

#9 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

Cool link Terrorist! Thanks!
- John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users