Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Se Causes Computer To Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 inertiatic

inertiatic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Every time I run Ad-Aware SE, my computer crashes during the scan.
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop and I am runnin Windows XP. The Dell firewalls don't work very well, and my computer is ridden with adware, spyware, and other malicious software. I found this site in an effort to locate a solution for getting rid of System Doctor 2006 adware.
I have run the program 4 times. The first time, my computer had been running for most of the day, and crashed about 2 minutes into the scan. The next two times, I ran the scan immediately after starting my computer up, which I did immediately after it crashed. Both times, the crash occured about 30 seconds into the scan. I again booted up immediately after the crash. This time, I waited for several minutes before running the scan, and poked around a bit to see if any suspicious programs were running that could be causing this. So, after several minutes, I ran the scan a fourth time, and again, the crash occured about 2 minutes into the scan, just like the first time. Each crash led to a blue screen with a label at the top, reading:
STOP: c000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.
Each time I restarted, I got an error report. The report was labeled winlogon.exe at the top and contained the following:
Error Signature-
EventType : BEX P1 : winlogon.exe P2 : 0.0.0.0 P3 : 00000000
P4 : unknown P5 : 0.0.0.0 P6 : 00000000 P7 : 01221ebb
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008
and technical information:
C:\DOCUME~1\WINSTO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0d7a.dir00\winlogon.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\WINSTO~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0d7a.dir00\appcompat.txt
After the third crash, I sent the error report, but didn't the other three times.
Each time, the desktop goes completely black for several seconds about 10 seconds into the scan, and only the Ad-Aware window is visible.

I am following this site's guide on what to do before posting a HijackThis log file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-inertiatic
"Kids need to learn how to weasel out of things. It's what separates us from the animals... except for the weasel."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

Are you running Ad-aware in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:33 AM

Ad-Aware just did this one today on me with a customer's laptop. I have no idea what caused it, but the resulting stop error was bad enough that I had to do an in-place upgrade of XP to even get the system to boot again.

Definitely run it in safe mode, but you might want to try a different spyware scanner. Try maybe Spybot S&D and/or Windows Defender.
Posted Image

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

If your still having problems even in Safe Mode, you might want to review the following pinned topics at the Lavasoft Support Forums > FAQ's > Ad-Aware SE:
Ad-Aware SE terminates or PC reboots during scan
During An Ad-aware Scan, My Computer Restarts
During an Ad-Aware scan, I get a bluescreen and my computer restarts

As an alternative, you can download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users