Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ad-aware Se Causes Computer To Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 inertiatic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Every time I run Ad-Aware SE, my computer crashes during the scan.
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 Laptop and I am runnin Windows XP. The Dell firewalls don't work very well, and my computer is ridden with adware, spyware, and other malicious software. I found this site in an effort to locate a solution for getting rid of System Doctor 2006 adware.
I have run the program 4 times. The first time, my computer had been running for most of the day, and crashed about 2 minutes into the scan. The next two times, I ran the scan immediately after starting my computer up, which I did immediately after it crashed. Both times, the crash occured about 30 seconds into the scan. I again booted up immediately after the crash. This time, I waited for several minutes before running the scan, and poked around a bit to see if any suspicious programs were running that could be causing this. So, after several minutes, I ran the scan a fourth time, and again, the crash occured about 2 minutes into the scan, just like the first time. Each crash led to a blue screen with a label at the top, reading:
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.
Each time I restarted, I got an error report. The report was labeled winlogon.exe at the top and contained the following:
Error Signature-
EventType : BEX P1 : winlogon.exe P2 : P3 : 00000000
P4 : unknown P5 : P6 : 00000000 P7 : 01221ebb
P8 : c0000005 P9 : 00000008
and technical information:
After the third crash, I sent the error report, but didn't the other three times.
Each time, the desktop goes completely black for several seconds about 10 seconds into the scan, and only the Ad-Aware window is visible.

I am following this site's guide on what to do before posting a HijackThis log file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"Kids need to learn how to weasel out of things. It's what separates us from the animals... except for the weasel."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

Are you running Ad-aware in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:33 AM

Ad-Aware just did this one today on me with a customer's laptop. I have no idea what caused it, but the resulting stop error was bad enough that I had to do an in-place upgrade of XP to even get the system to boot again.

Definitely run it in safe mode, but you might want to try a different spyware scanner. Try maybe Spybot S&D and/or Windows Defender.
Posted Image

#4 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 39,899 posts
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

If your still having problems even in Safe Mode, you might want to review the following pinned topics at the Lavasoft Support Forums > FAQ's > Ad-Aware SE:
Ad-Aware SE terminates or PC reboots during scan
During An Ad-aware Scan, My Computer Restarts
During an Ad-Aware scan, I get a bluescreen and my computer restarts

As an alternative, you can download and scan with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2015 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users