Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down When Booting Up In Safe-mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dslear

Dslear

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:32 PM

Problem: I can't get into safe mode to run Smitfraudfix.exe because my computer shuts down by itself.

So I have or had Anti-vermins on my computer (malware right?). Every where i read told me to download Smitfraudfix.exe, boot up in Safe-mode and run it. Here is my problem. I boot up in Safe mode, pick the user i want, then when it asks me if i want to proceed in safe mode I say yes and soon after (seconds) the computer turns off before i get a chance to run Smitfraud. After this, I start the computer over and over again and it won't proceed into windows because it turns off by itself right after the Windows xp logo picture shows. After i let it sit for a while (10-20 minutes) i try again and it boots up fine.

I have a Toshiba Satellite with a 3.1 GHZ pentium 4 and i know these things tend to overheat; however, this problem will happen even when I turn it on after sitting over night. Provided i Try to boot up in Safe-mode. Help if you can and i will appreciate it.

Thanks
-Dale

P.S. I also have winXP pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:56 AM

I was going to suggest a hard drive extraction and putting it as a slave in a friends computer to scan, But, I jsut realized that your computer is in fact a laptop so, Bad idea

Can you enter normal mode of windows without issues, Or does it reboot itself too? If so have you tried to run various scans in it, and did they find anything?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

You can still scan your laptop hard drive, but will need an adapter to slave the drive to a USB connection (about $50 US at BestBuy).

Can you boot into regular mode? Try running smitfraudfix from there (it may not be as effective - but it may let you get into Safe Mode).

Also, try adding an entry to the autoexec.bat file to run smitfraudfix on bootup - this may cause it to run before the system get's the signal to shut down.

Also, viewing the startups may reveal an entry that's causing this.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#4 Dslear

Dslear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for getting back to me,

The computer will boot into normal windows fine until i try to go into safe-mode. Once i try safemode it starts shutting down by it self. It will eventually boot back into normal windows, but as far as i know, the only thing to get it to do so is to go away and come back in 20 minutes.

I have run Spybot search and destroy, Norton Anti-virus, and Ad-aware SE personal. They found stuff and i deleted what they found but can't recall what it was. I can say the annoying toolbar pop up was still there though.
Yesterday, I ran the Smitfraudfix program in normal windows (it said safemode recommended) and Since yesterday i don't have anymore annoying toolbar pop ups. I am getting ready to try to boot up in safemode so i can run it again to make sure but wanted to post something incase i can't get back on for a while. :thumbsup:

I ran Sysedit and found nothing in my Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. It was blank. Is this normal?

Thanks guys.
-dale

#5 Dslear

Dslear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

Ok, i just restarted and tried to get into safemode. Tried :flowers: . It shut down right when i was getting ready to pick the user. When I turned the computer back on I let it boot into regular windows and everything went fine. I have no clue :thumbsup: .

I know how to get to the Autoexec.bat, but what do I add so my computer will run Smitfraudfix on start up.

Thanks.
Dale

#6 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

Sorry, but further research doesn't show me a way to automatically add the smitfraudfix when loading into SafeMode (the autoexec.bat trick won't work).

Can you get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt? If so, you may be able to run the smitfraudfix from there.

Alternatively, stop all services and running processes that you can (using the Services applet and the Task Manager) - then try running the fix again in normal mode. This "may" allow you to "simulate" Safe Mode enough to rid yourself of the bugger!

If this doesn't solve your problem, I'd suggest the you post a HiJackThis log in this forum (please read the instructions there before posting): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#7 isis_thisis

isis_thisis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:30 AM

Ok, i just restarted and tried to get into safemode. Tried :flowers: . It shut down right when i was getting ready to pick the user. When I turned the computer back on I let it boot into regular windows and everything went fine. I have no clue :thumbsup: .

I know how to get to the Autoexec.bat, but what do I add so my computer will run Smitfraudfix on start up.

Thanks.
Dale

Im having the same problems, but my computer won't even allow me to start in safe mode. I have searched and searched on how to fix this problem.

#8 usasma

usasma

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

Another way around this is to try the free antivirus tool ClamWin - which can be run from a flash drive. http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable
- John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users