Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marg_ret

marg_ret

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:23 AM

On start up I get a warning box indicating that my Windows Defender needs to be started manually and I can't find out how to do that. I just did a download of the windows updates and restarted my computer, but am still getting the warning box. Any chance someone could help me? :thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 31 December 2006 - 09:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,143 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

That is a new one. I use WD and never got such a message. Wonder if it is due to installing IE7.
If it is not listed in the start menu when you click on start, use the "all Programs" and find and start from there.
Here is a link to how to set up WD.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...indefender.mspx

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 mtlfs01

mtlfs01

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:08 AM

Same thing happened to me . The error says as follows..""Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba . a problem caused Windows Defender Service to stop. To start the service restart the computer or search
help and Support on how to start a service manually. "

Restarting , the same message box is shown again. If I tray to start
manually, the same message box comes back.
Anyone with a solution or help?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,143 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:26 AM

Looking around on the Web, I can see a lot of users are having this problem.
copied from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...amp;m=1&p=1

One way to solve this problem is by 'starting the service'
> Right click MY COMPUTER
> MANAGE
> expand the SERVICES tab so that on the rihgt side of the window it displays
> all the services
> find windows defender
> right click PROPERTIES
> on a drop down menu it may say DISABLED
> select MANUAL or AUTOMATIC
> and click APPLY
> then click START

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#5 mtlfs01

mtlfs01

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

thanks Buddy will try..

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,143 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

In the link in my post above, there is directions for uninstalling Defender and reinstalling if the other fix doesn't work. Here are the instructions:
(The instructions don't mention using the uninstaller from Add/Remove, but I would run that first before using the Cleanup Utility.)

I'VE GOT THE SOLUTION - FROM MICROSOFT!
1. Go to www.microsoft.com
2. In the Search Window (upper right corner), type: windows installer cleanup
3. Click on the first heading, "Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp
Utility".
4. Scroll down and click on "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
package now."
5. Save it to your Desktop or any folder you wish.
6. Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
7. A window will pop up. Scroll down to the Windows Defender line.
8. Select or highlight that line (I had two such entries).
9. Click the Remove button. Then click the Exit button.
10. Go to www.microsoft.com and download and install the new Windows
Defender program Version 1.1.1593.0
11. That's it. Happy computing.

Edited by buddy215, 31 December 2006 - 06:47 PM.

Lawrence M. Krauss

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:14 PM

Speaking of Windows Defender, how can I configure it not to remove programs it finds as suspcious and harmful?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,143 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

WD removes by default only the programs it identifies as severe or high threats. You can also choose to quarantine or ignore the severe or high threats. Open WD and click on tools/ options and then under Default Settings click on the drop down windows and make your choice of the action(s) you want WD to take.
Before changing from Default Action I would suggest you read "understanding WD's alert levels" before changing the actions.

You can find more info here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...indefender.mspx

Lawrence M. Krauss

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

I started having that same problem just over a week ago. Has anyone figured out what causes it to happen yet?

Hi buddy215, I saw all of the stuff that you said about fixing it and I'll be trying some of that as soon as I get through with the HJT thing that I have going right now.

See you guys later,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,143 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

I saw in an article 2 days ago that users that were using the beta version of defender were having problems after Dec. 31. Windows stopped support at that time and that is the reason for the notice.
Regardless of whether that is your problem or some other reason you deleted Windows Defender and now want to reinstall, you need to run the Windows Cleanup Utility before attempting to reinstall Defender. That is the fix that Windows recommends.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Edited by buddy215, 04 January 2007 - 09:24 PM.

Lawrence M. Krauss

#11 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hi Buddy215, Thanks for the information. I think I'll just uninstall what I have and let Microsoft keep their defender. I don't like the looks of what I saw in that fix.

Bye,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,774 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

Just so everyone is aware, since the release of the new version (1.1.1593) Windows Defender is no longer installable or supported for Windows 2000.

Those still using the expired version should receive an error message: "0x80071b90 the systems license has expired".
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users