Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Frozen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rbevan

rbevan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

My internet has been down since last wedneday now but it is not AOL or the modem so am assuming it is most probably some kind of virus. Everytime i go to sign in to AOL broadband or start up internet explorer it freezes. It shows the log on screen but all links are completely frozen. Cannot click anywhere or type anything, even the exit button is frozen and when i try and click somewhere it makes the error sound as if the link isn't even there. Then have to do CTRL, ALT, DEL and end AOL to exit the program to which the program doesn't respond so have to 'end task now'. However i can get a connection through 'aol connectivty test' and even sign on to msn but explorer is frozen. After speaking to a friend on msn yesterday but without sending any files, they too are now experiencing the same problem on their internet, where their internet explorer is just completely frozen, perhaps transferred from my computer to theirs, this makes me think that is more likely a virus than a problem which any kind of software or connection.
I am using windows XP and my internet provider is AOL with McAfee anti virus software.
After downloading an update for the AOL browser last wednesday my internet has completely frozen. Previous to downloading this my McAfee found two virus' but i stupidly didn't read into it much and just pressed quarantine and delete so have no idea what the name of the virus was, although it was the same name on both finds. On the same day i had to disconnect the whole pc due to flooring being put down and reconnected it 2 days later i'm not sure if this is relevant to the situation or not but thought it was worth mentioning. So firstly i thought that perhaps it was reconnected incorrectly or the modem had been damaged but having connected the same modem to an old pc which i am currently using with the internet running well, the wires and connections must be fine.
I then thought it was an error with the download so restored the computer to two days earlier after which an error message came up saying McAfee could not run properly because the active x control was damaged so i reversed the restoration. Ran CHKDSK but did not help atall and scanned through with McAfee 3 times but no virus could be found. I then unistalled and reinstalled the modem and AOL but it missed out the stage where it asks you to put in your Screen name, password and location. So now my log on screen is the AOL log on box with 'exsisting member' written in the screen name box with no password or location so i couldn't sign on even if it wasn't frozen. I also ran the AOL broadband connectivity test to which it responds 'there was no problem found with your connectivty'. Have also tried calling AOL on two different customer service numbers both of which don't seem to work, 0800 376 4406 and 0800 376 5432.
The main issue seems to be that internet explorer is completely frozen as soon as its started up and i really don't know what to do about it or how to run any tests ect...
Sorry i do not know how much of this information is relevant to the problem just put down eveything that has happened just incase it helps. I would be extremely grateful for any help atall and if there is anything i need to be more specific on i will try to if i can.
Many Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:47 AM

After downloading an update for the AOL browser last wednesday my internet has completely frozen.

Sounds like an AOL issue with their software.

AOL Technical Support: 1-800 827-6364

Other numbers that are available:
1-800 827-3338 Technical Support
1-888 849-3200 High Speed Broadband Support (DSL, Satellite, Cable)
1-888-346-3704 AOL Technical Support (Windows version)
1-888-265-8007 AOL Technical Support (Macintosh version)
1-888-265-8004 Screen Name or Password Problems
1-888-265-8005 Access Numbers
1-888-265-8003 Billing Inquiries
1-888-265-8008 Account Cancellation
1-888-265-8001 AOL Product Information

1703-264-1184 International Callers/Subscribers outside the U.S. and Canada
Member Services in France - 0-800-903-910
Member Services in Germany - 0-180-531-3164
Member Services in the UK - 0-800-376-5432
TTY Service For Hearing-Impaired Members - 1-800-759-3323
To use TTY service, you must have TTY-enabled equipment.

You can also send them an email using this link:
http://info.aol.co.uk/help/feedback/feedback.html
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users