Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Mshtml.hlp File (win-xp)error Msg When Trying To Save E-mail Image

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buck Buchanan

Buck Buchanan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:04 PM

:thumbsup: (Win-XP) After getting an Error Msg telling me that I was "missing" a file named mshtml.hlp, I began a Google search using "mshtml.hlp" as the search string. Many search return results indicated that the problem was a programming language issue and others suggested that I search the Microsoft Knowledgebase. While reading these, one part of my mind was chewing on the question... what has changed in the 48 hours since I was able to save images that were embedded in my Outlook Express E-mail. It occurred to me that Microsoft had more or less forced IE7 on me 24 hours ago as an automatic update. That is the only thing different. I change my search string in Google to "uninstall ie7" and found instructions to uninstall ie7.

Went to the "Control Panel", found Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7 and uninstalled it. I must admit that there was some concern in the back of my mind as to what Explorer version, if any, I would be left with. Once the uninstall was completed, I rebooted and lo... all was as it was before the problem. I had IE6 and OE6 (Outlook Express 6) back. I tried using the Save-As feature on the same images that had caused me to get the error message. Nice... the error was fixed. No error msg and the image was saved the way I used to do it.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 November 2006 - 02:18 PM.

Semper Fi,
Buck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:37 AM

Try to reinstall SP2 on your system. This will, effectively, repair Internet Explorer 6 (you may have to visit Windows Update to ensure that it didn't wipe out some of your updates).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#3 Buck Buchanan

Buck Buchanan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:53 PM

Hello USASMA,
Thank you for responding, but I was not reporting a problem but instead sharing a solution to a problem that I had seen others in the forum requesting help with. The uninstalling of IE7 literally put everything back like it was. I turned off my automatic Windows Update feature and set it to inform me of updates rather than allowing them to install in the background. For me... the solution was flawless. Thank you for your time and thought(s) in this matter.
Semper Fi,
Buck

#4 Bruce S.

Bruce S.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:17 AM

I had the same problem and searched for 2 days for a cure on the web and through other sources without any luck. Then tonight I just stumbled upon a fix that worked on my problem and I hope it cures yours as well. just follow the steps on this website and it should take care of the problem.

Good Luck, Bruce S.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;823301

#5 John Booth

John Booth

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:39 AM

I just encountered the missing mshtml.hlp message. I was trying to save as, an imbedded picture in an Outlook Express email attachment. Talked to IE7 Support on the phone. They INSISTED it was NOT an IE7 problem, even though I explained the problem only came up AFTER installing IE7. I told 'em I would uninstall IE7 to prove the point. He said IE7 was a "universal update" and would simply update itself again. With that, I said "what now". He said to contact the OLE group by phone and give 'em my case number, it would NOT cost me anything. Unfortunately, they are closed and I have to wait until tomorrow. I will post here when I find anything out.

It seems that I cannot save pics embedded in ATTACHMENTS. If I get an pic embedded in an original email, I CAN save as. Will let you know more when I know more.

jb

Got to Outlook Express support. He said it was the email item itself, that when an email is forwarded several times, it CAN lose some type of link to attachments. It is not a bug, but can even be the ISP's emal server. I forwarded the email item to him and he had the same problems saving the pics. I take this to be the explanation since that is the only email I have had with the problem.

jb

Edited by John Booth, 27 December 2006 - 02:49 PM.

#6 davidwh

davidwh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hi folks,
I had this problem of not being able to 'save as' a picture in an email when using Internet Explore 7. As uaual looked for the solution but couldnt see a good easy one.
Then there it was right under my nose USE FIREFOX it doesnt seem to suffer the same problem at all.
Yippee, one up for open source coding!
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users