Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Log Into My Home Network..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 edwardjanderson

edwardjanderson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 07:19 PM

How do I log into my home network with my work computer? I can access the internet through my how network just fine but I would like to access my other home computers and printers.

thanks

Eddie

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 November 2006 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:31 PM

You will need to setup the other computers to allow you to access them. They're not simply going to let you gain access to them, (then again, depending on how you set them up already (home computers), they might.).

But, the way you're explaining it, you'll need to go to your home computers and set them up to allow your work computer to access them.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:25 AM

What program are you using for remote access?
Or is the work computer in the same location and connecting to the same router?

If so, are all op systems Windows XP, and which version of XP are they, Home or Pro?

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 November 2006 - 03:27 AM.

#4 edwardjanderson

edwardjanderson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

I am connecting to my wireless router at home with work computer (XP pro) accessing the internet. I have 4 other computers on my home network -2 with XP Home (wireless), 1 with XP pro (wireless) and one with MCE 2005 (ethernet). THe home computers can all see each other and I have mapped network drives between them, shared printers, etc. If some one could walk me through setting up my home network so that I can log in to my home network or map a drive to the computers that would be fantastic.

thanks for the help so far- this is a great forum.

#5 Garcher

Garcher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

Go into network connections, and go into properties of the connections you are using. You have to go into there and chage or add the workgroup name that you use for your home network. Defaukt is MSHOME.

#6 max3808

max3808

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

Hi, all..

I'd like to know how to do this too...properly.
I have a work computer running XPP (via a router to the Internet) and I'd like to access the My Documents folder on that from my home computer working on Win2k.
I've been to the Microsoft site, and followed their instructions in allowing Sharing on the Folder;
I did most of the stuff like changing some setting in the Firewall, etc.
I copied the Computer name, the Workgroup name, even the port numbers, etc.,

What do I do with all this information?
I typed this information into the Address line in IE, but I must be missing something, 'cause it all comes back with a very familiar white screen...I must have the info in the wrong order...

Can anyone sort me out? thanks in advance... :thumbsup:

max

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:45 PM

The flat out easiest way to do this is to establish a free account at www.logmein.com Then download their applet and install it on your home system. Pick a secure password and username too!

Then, surf to LogMeIn and enter the info for the home computer and you're in!
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users