Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 Closes Within Seconds Of Opening

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blackberet

blackberet

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

I have IE7 Release Candidate 1 (v. 7.0.5700.6) on my system(XP Pro SP2), and for the past several weeks I've been unable to use it: upon opening the program it closes itself within seconds. Initially, rather than closing, I would receive an error(I'm forgetting what the error said, but it's the kind that Microsoft gives you the option to send the error information to Microsoft for supposed analysis), explorer would freeze until I chose "Send Error Report" or "Do Not Send," after which explorer would close.

I've tried reinstalling Explorer, even using different versions (I believe 6), and also tried to uninstall it completely (although I've found it's quite difficult to do a full uninstall without reinstalling your entire system, which I definitely don't want to do), but the problem persists.

I've run AdAware, Ewido, and Registry Mechanic, but none of them have picked up on anything. I'm really at a loss here -- I have no idea what's going on. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

You are using the IE7 RC1 version.......
did you know that the final release is out now.
A lot of bugs in it have been ironed out.
You can get the final release...... Here
Try it and see if everything is ok now.

unite1.png

#3 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for that heads up. I went ahead and installed that new version, and it even said in the middle of the process that it had uninstalled IE (which, admittedly, all my other attempted installs have mentioned as well), but alas, the exact same problem persists!

Earlier today (before downloading the new IE7) I was able to prolong one browser window's life after resetting IE's settings under the advanced settings tab and then setting my homepage to Google. I'm not sure which of those really had the affect on keeping the window from closing (if either really had an effect at all), but it reverted back to its previous obnoxiousness a few minutes later. Neither of those tweaks worked on this new version.

Any other suggestions??

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:29 AM

I had exactly the same problem with the final IE7 release.
I downloaded it the day it was released last week I think.
Every time I opened any page it froze out, but I didn't have time to catch the error.
I just simply removed IE7 and went back to IE6, I much prefer that to be honest.
I don't have a solution, but maybe Microsoft will bring out a patch to combat the problem.
For the time being you might like to consider going back to Ie6.

#5 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:02 PM

I'm pretty sure I've already tried going back to IE6. I'll give it a try though. What's the best way to go about reverting back to that version? I guess my main question is, how do I remove IE7? I just tried to install IE6 but it detected "a newer version" so setup couldn't continue. Probably a stupid question I know...

Edited by blackberet, 25 October 2006 - 03:03 PM.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:10 AM

Many of the problems are resulting from 3rd party browser add-ons (Toolbars, etc) that are not yet compatable with IE7, causing crashes, freezing, etc. The first thing you should try is temporarily disabling any of these.
I strongly recommend users read the current release notes before upgrading.

Edited by HitSquad, 28 October 2006 - 08:12 AM.

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:06 AM

You should be able to uninstall IE7 fairly easily.....
Go to....
  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Add or Remove Programs
  • Make sure that there's a tick against.... Show Updates
  • Scroll down to..... Windows Internet Explorer 7
  • Highlight this program and then select Remove.
This should remove IE7 and revert back to IE6

unite1.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users