Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Google.com Or Site That Contains Google

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 plr

plr

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

I can't open www.google.com or any site that has google on it. It starts looking for the site and then it just hangs up and eventually times out. I thought maybe it was a virus, but I am not redirected to any other site, I just can't open that one. I am using a toshiba qosmio laptop F10 and I reformatted the hard drive and reloaded the recovery software to try to get rid of the problem. The only things I have reloaded are Norton Internet Security and Windows live messenger. I tried disabling the Internet security and accessing google.com, but I still can't get it. The wierd part is that I have another computer connected to the same router as my laptop and I have no trouble getting google on it, so I know the site is not down. It worked on the laptop fine until a couple of weeks ago. Accessing any other site works. Any help would be appreciated. Note - I saw that "newlinerealty" was also having google problems in another post and tried the suggestions that members made there (like trying https instead of http) and i also tried the link to google in that post, but they did not work.

Edited by plr, 10 October 2006 - 09:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:28 AM

The looking in IE and make sure it has not been blocked.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 plr

plr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:17 AM

How would I do that?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,553 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

Click on start/control pane/IE options/Privacy Tab/Sites
Look at list of sites to see if any Google sites are blocked.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#5 plr

plr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:52 AM

thanks, i just checked and google is not blocked there. I even added it to the allowed list, but I still can't get google.com or site that has google. On other sites that have google, it half loads the site and as soon as it gets to the part where the google search bar is, it hangs there as well...

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,553 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

What browser are you using? Is there any filtering program installed? Since you are having no problem with your other comp accessing Google, and both computers are using the same IP then I would suspect Norton is somehow blocking if that is the only security program installed. Just another thought, have you scanned the other computer for malware? Are both networked?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#7 plr

plr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

I am using microsoft internet explorer 6.0.2900..... I don't know of any filtering program. The only programs loaded after wiping the hard drive were Norton Internet Security 6.0 and Windows Live Messenger. I have just removed Norton from my computer and retried to access google, but I am having the same problem. That gets rid of Norton as a possible culprit. In answer to your question, both computers run through the same linksys router, the main computer wired, and the laptop wireless, but I did not set up a network. Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by plr, 11 October 2006 - 08:37 AM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,553 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:17 AM

Is it possible the settings for the linksys router/firewall have been changed/ corrupted? That seems the most likely cause of your problem.

Lawrence M. Krauss

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,524 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:39 AM

Try clearing the Rcache. Go to Start, then Run. Type in cmd and press enter. At the prompt enter ipconfig /flushdns. If for some reason you have a bad DNS file this will clear it and force your computer to aquire a new one.

#10 plr

plr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

buddy215 you are definitely on to something. I disconnected from my wireless router and connected wirelessly to my neighbours router and now I can access all the sites...thank you, thank you, thank you...you wouldn't believe how many sites have google. It has to be a router problem, but now I don't know how to fix that. I have tried unplugging and waiting and replugging in the router, but that doesn't help.

Edited by plr, 11 October 2006 - 11:27 AM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,553 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

Check out this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...php/t58695.html

Have you tried Googling (pun intended) the specific problem? Wish I could help further but I have never used a wireless. Hey, but here is a bump.

Lawrence M. Krauss

#12 plr

plr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I went on the linksys technical support site and have found that many people have this same problem. It seems it is a problem with the linksys routers (WRT300N). Wired into the router the sites work, but wireless anything with google in it doesn't. The forum says to download the new firmware update and then call linksys to walk you through the problem. edit - i downloaded the firmware update and was walked through changing several settings with linksys. No way I could have done this on my own...too many setting changes to things like fragmentation threshold values and RTS threshold values in the linksys advanced wireless settings...linksys knows of this problem and you have to contact them for the fix. Having said that, they were great and everything is working well now!

Edited by plr, 11 October 2006 - 12:46 PM.

#13 enricocrivellaro

enricocrivellaro

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

To Acklan: thank you!! I had the same problem, couldn't get on Google and other sites. I cleared the Rcache and there you go...it took one second and now everything works.
Thank you very much--I've been going crazy for a few days!

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

I am happy to have helped. By the way...

Welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

#15 MEGHALBABA

MEGHALBABA

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

very simple my friends
here is the 100% solution of this problem
just visit