Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Running Slow/ All Audio/video Files Skipping

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 marimbame

marimbame

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

Greetings! My first post...
About a week ago, I found an old CD ROM (apparently from 10 years ago). I installed it to see what it would do. I'm pretty sure that's when the problems started. Since then I have removed this program and the problems still exist.

Problems: PC running slow/ ALL audio, video files, plus CD's and DVD's are skipping or stuttering / Bootup takes twice as long as before/ ccApp always shows up as an error when turning off or logging off (very annoying program)

Steps I have taken: Ran Norton Antivirus - full scan (nothing)/ Ran Windows Defender for spyware (Found 8 programs - cleaned those)/ Ran registry fix program (many problems fixed) / Ran Error Nuker (fixed many problems) / Ran Check-It Diagnostics (found no errors)/ Checked for HyperThreading (not an option on this system)/ Have Defragged/ Have removed a lot of junk.

I'll admit I have a lot of crap on this computer I can do without, but now I'm afraid to remove any other programs. Let me know what you need me to do to help you out.

Please help!! Thanks!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 30 September 2006 - 10:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 03:57 AM

Use Windows System Restore to revert your system state to a previous working condition.

click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

The System Restore wizard will lead you through the process.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 30,797 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:28 AM

After getting your pc back to a working condition, please see Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist and How to Remove an Installed Program from your Computer.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#4 marimbame

marimbame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the input, but my system restore only goes back 3 days. This happened about, now, about 10 days ago. Any other suggestions?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:35 AM

What was on the cd you installed?

#6 marimbame

marimbame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

Not knowing it was the culprit at the time, I trashed it.

I'm an amateur at this stuff, but it seems to me there is a program that taking up all the memory. I feel if I can locate this program and stop it, my media files should be fine. Just a hunch.

#7 marimbame

marimbame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:57 AM

So Far I have done all applicable tasks on the "Slow Computer Checklist"

1) Scanned for Viruses - none found
2) Removed any suspicious programs - problem still exists
3) Ran Windows Defender - found 8 problems - fixed
4) Removed unnecessary start-up applications
5) Cleaned Hard Drive - still have more to do
6) Ran Check disk - no problems found
7) Defragged -

Problems still exist

I know there is a problem as soon as I log in to windows XP. The default intro music skips.

Something is tie-ing up my system's memory and I can't find it.

Thanks!

#8 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Since you have installed an old cdrom drive, which you have now removed I would feel that you system is still looking for something or misreading something, some questions.

- in what way did you install this CDrom drive, normally it is plug and play, did you use a cd that came with it, because that would install a driver for fat32 whereas your system is not using ntfs
- you uninstalled the program, from where and how
- have you thought about doing a repair with an xpcd
- have you cleaned out the prefetch folder in case an ophaned entry is causing this

Hope this helps, any questions are most welcome
everyday is a gift

#9 marimbame

marimbame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the info... I agree. I think the old program or programs are looking for something that is not there, or has installed something that XP doesn't recognize. This could be the case for other older programs I have tried to use in years past.

I installed the CD by utilizing the plug and play option. I knew it was an interactive CD-ROM, but didn't realize it may affect my system the way it did. I know now not to install anything like it. The CD was an accompanying CD-ROM for a music text. The CD-ROM was titled something like "An Interactive Guide to Benjamin Britten's 'A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.'" There's a chance it was a DOS based program, but I don't think so.

I uninstalled the program using the Add/Remove Software via Windows XP Control Panel with no know problems. The sequence of events is shady, but I'm pretty sure the problems started after the program was removed. Sorry to be so vague.

I do not know how to do a repair with an xpcd. Please advise.

I do not know anything about the prefetch folder. Please advise.

Thanks, again for your response. :thumbsup:

#10 marimbame

marimbame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:29 AM

After doing some research on the web, I have cleared the prefetch folder.

-Rebooted. Opted out of adding wextract_cleanup0 to my startup (was prompted).
-Ran Error Nuker - fixed two errors
-Removed Adobe Help Driver, Uninstalled CheckiT Diagnostics, uninstalled Sonic DVD player, and Roxio 7,
Removed Kodak Program - left driver
-Rebooted.
-still have the same problems.
[Bootup is still slow, windows environment is still slow, all video and audio files skipping (even the intro music to windows skips)]

-Unintalled Limeware using uninstall (which was updated on 9/17/06 - about the time the problems started)
- Rebooted - same problems
- Error Nuker - fixed errors
- Ran full scan of Windows Defender - no threats found
- Rebooted - Same problems

My next big step is to back up my files and do a repair with the xp cd.

I would like to try anything else first.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#11 tinab

tinab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hi. I'm having the same problem you describe. It started a couple weeks ago but I really don't know what might have started it. I get clean McAfee, Spybot, Lavasoft and Windows defender scans. I have lots of free space and have defragged. I can't see a problem of any kind. But when Windows XP Pro starts up the sound file skips. All sound files skip.

I'm curious to know whether you've found a solution.

#12 marimbame

marimbame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

Hey!

No solutions, yet, but I'm working with a "computer expert" in my area. We've only had phone consults so far, but I hope to have her look at my machine very soon.

Did you try to view videos as well? My video files are skipping, too. All of my computer media files are skipping.

I try to let you know ASAP if we find a solution.

Thanks!

#13 tinab

tinab

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:24 AM

Yes. Videos skip. I went to YouTube and watched a video. It skipped very badly. I also have trouble watching DVDs, although it's not nearly so bad. My computer starts up slowly and applications start and operate slowly after it does start.

Any news from your tech?

#14 marimbame

marimbame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:40 AM

None yet. The tech was called out of town this week and I told her I would wait until she returned - especially if she's going to do this as a favor.

The problem is more of a nuisance. Everything else is functioning fine.

#15 MrCrowT

MrCrowT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

I've been having the same problem recently and I think I finally figured out what is causing it, the Hard Drive. I have two HDs and if I play a video file on my main drive it comes out really choppy and the audio skips, but if I transfer the same file and play it off my other drive (which is a few years its junior) it plays much, much smoother. If any of you also have two drives let me know if you see a difference between the two. I think I need to reformat and install windows on my younger drive soon.

Edited by MrCrowT, 07 November 2006 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users