Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing File: C:|windows|system32|mshtml.hlp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 airaced57

airaced57

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

I believe I may have erroneously deleted the captionally noted file when I attempted to use an AV program other than the paid AVG program I am using currently.

I was absent for a while and when I returned and went through my mail, attempted to right click on an image to save it to "My picture" folder. I got the I.E error message"The system cannot find the file specified" On pressing the "Help" option, I got the message "Cannot find the file c:|windows\system32\mshtml.hlp Help file. Check to see if the file exists on your disk. If it doesn't,you need to install it.

I made a search of the pc "C" disc for this file with negative results.

I have my OS installation disc however am not sure exactly what to do to make sure the missing file is reinstalled. I recently attempted a registry change with catastrophic not to mention expensive results therefore am very hesitant to barge right in and do this on my own.I would greatly appreciate any step by step walk through that may be provided as to how do the reinstall without screwing up the whole shooting match. TYIA. Mchaggis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

This file is not on my WinXP pc either. Did you Google it? I just did a Google search and this Microsoft Article sheds some light on the subject.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q190250/

Perhaps related (perhaps not) I do have a file called MSHTML.DLL sitting in C:\i386 and in C:\WINDOWS\System32, as well as in c:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KBxxxxxx\SP2QFE (for several KB patches) which would say to me it's probably related to SP2 or regular KBpatch/updating. So if you don't have this file, it may cause update issues.

I'm by no means a pro with computers. So I'll let one of the forum experts add to what I have found for you so far. I don't think you really need it if I read the MS Article correctly. I don't have MSHTML.HLP and I can right click images and save to My Pictures folder just fine.

Edited by buttoni, 27 September 2006 - 07:43 PM.

HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#3 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:08 AM

Thank you Buttoni,
I guess I was seeing a problem where in the long run, one really does not exist. I also tried again to right click on and save an image and did so with no problem. I looked up the url you provided and my interpretation of its contents is: "Sure is a bug in the system. We dont know what causes it. To bad. Live with it."
Well I guess I have no option and at least will know that in future if I receive the same message, I will have too find an alternate way to save the image. It just bugs me to receive a message telling me there is a file missing in my system when such is not the case. Cheers, mchaggis.

#4 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

It just bugs me to receive a message telling me there is a file missing in my system when such is not the case.

Yep, I can understand. I'm pretty anal about those "fluke" messages myself! Glad to be of help.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:38 AM

Most of the web hits deal with VB programming or Web Designer programs - rather than Internet Explorer.

If you're getting this error in IE when just surfing the web, I'd suspect that there's a corruption in your IE insallation. The easiest fix is to repair Internet Explorer. To do that with SP2, you uninstall SP2 and then reinstall it (and all the updates that go with it).
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

If you did not have this problem before and upon returning from your absence then experienced it, or know the date you deleted the file with the av program, and it is not more than three weeks since this occurred, use Windows System Restore to return your system state to the condition it was in on the restore date you choose.

System Restore affects system files and ap files only - not data, so you will not loose any data but will have to re-download any updates or patches you have done in that time period.

To access System Restore:
Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.

Choose a date that is highlighted and follow the onscreen prompts.

#7 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions. I believe I shall follow the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I have,since my initial request for assistance, saved numerous images without problem. I really appreciate your all taking the time to address this. mchaggis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users