Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Allow Or Deny

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Howdy,
How do you temporally block an incoming program ?

For instance Spybot seems to pick up on things trying to invade my computer before Windows Defender or Norton Security 2006 which is my firewall.

Spybot will pop up a window asking me to allow or deny. I feel I do not have much of a choice at that point so I always deny.

Is there a way to delay a decision until I have time to Google it to try and find out what the program may be ??

I hope I am making some sort of sense.

Thanks for your time,
Dennis :thumbsup:

EDIT: I do not use Teatimer

Edited by Dennis H, 26 August 2006 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

With Spybot, the only way you should be getting the Allow, or Deny option, is if you're using TeaTimer.
That's the only realtime protection Spybot offers.
Are you sure it's not running, or is it another program that give you these options?
If TeaTimer is running, there should be an icon in the Taskbar, by the clock.
When you mouse-over the icon, it should read Spybot-SD Resident.
There's no way to "temporarily" block the changes with TeaTimer, but the changes can be reversed as I explained in the other thread you posted to:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63323/how-do-i-know-what-to-allow-through-my-firewall/?p=346478
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply tg1911.

When I signed up for Norton 2006 Security and tried to install it a screen came up and said that it was not compatible with Spybot.

I then posted here and asked for advice. I was told to turn Teatimer off. I did and Norton 2006 installed successfully.

You are absolutely right about S&D Resident. It is in my desktop and reads: SPYBOT-SD Resident
1174 processes blacklisted

Any ideas ??

Thanks for your help.

#4 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

With Tea-Timer running, everytime you add or delete a registry entry, it will pop up informing you of whats happening and if you wish to accept the change. This can continue to happen everytime you load up your PC if the deny was originally chosen then an an acceptance followed.

Think back to when you first started seeing the Tea-Timer pop ups. Were they after you had previously deleted a programme or added one? If so that can be why. If the programmes are ones you have not heard of, dont click on either the 'Allow' or 'Deny' button. Instead drag the pop up to the side and open google and type in the programme name and see what comes up.

Sometimes when you tell Tea-Timer to remember your answer, it still displays pop ups sometimes. You can reset Tea-Timer so these dont keep happening when you know the registry change is a safe one. Simply turn Tea-Timer off and then back on again.

In order to do this you must have Spybot in Advance mode. Open up Spybot and select 'Mode' at the top of the screen and then select advance. After this, goto the new options at the bottom and select 'Tools', then select 'Resident'. You will then see two checked items, now uncheck the second one,resident 'Tea-Timer' and close Spybot. Re-open Spybot and now check that option again with a tick and close. Tea-Timer is now reset.

It is VERY important that you DO NOT mess about with the other options that Spybot displays in Advance mode unless you are sure what you are doing. If you dont wish to use them, switch back to 'Default' mode.

Edited by graveangel, 26 August 2006 - 05:07 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the reply graveangle.

When I signed up for Norton 2006 and tried to down load it, it would not do so because of a conflict with Spybot. A screen said it was not compatible.

At the time I had Spybot with Teatimer. I posted here for advice.

I was told to uninstall Spybot, install Norton and then reinstall Spybot but not to activate Teatimer after the new Spybot install.

I followed those instructions and Norton 2006 installed successfully.

I do not have Teatimer activated.

Am I making any sense ?? :thumbsup:

Dennis :flowers:

#6 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

Well, If Spybot is displying pop ups, you DO have Tea-Timer active.

You are absolutely right about S&D Resident. It is in my desktop and reads: SPYBOT-SD Resident
1174 processes blacklisted

Even if you didnt activate it yourself, if Spybot is displayed in your system tray next to the clock, then Tea-Timer is definately active. Go into Advance mode and see if it is ticked and post back with what you find.

If it is active, and you dont want it, uncheck it and close out of Spybot.
:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 26 August 2006 - 06:03 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

Just went there, hate to be such a dummy, but I could not find Teatimer.

I put it advance mode looked around and could find any reference to Teatimer.

I would like to mention at this time that when I uninstalled Spybot prior to installing Norton the resident Sptybot Icon never disappeared from my desk top. It also displays a lock on it. Additionally it says:

1174 processes blacklisted.

It has been that way for 5 or 6 months. I installed Norton 2 months ago.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,427 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

advanced mode/click on tools/ click on resident/Below shield you will see two boxes--one for Resident "SDHelper" and one for Resident "TeaTimer

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#9 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

Your not a Dummy Dennis H, just learning! :thumbsup:

Spybot always displays that number in the tray,along with the lock.

Once you click tools, you are presented with a main box with lots of options where you have the choice to tick and remove them. About 4 tick options down is one called Resident that has a red shield with a white stripe going through it. Tick the box to the left of it. Under the 'Tools' section there should now be an option called 'Resident', double click it. Now to other option tick boxes are displayed on the main screen, the second being the Tea-Timer. If its ticked,its active.

Edited by graveangel, 26 August 2006 - 07:17 PM.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

I would like to mention at this time that when I uninstalled Spybot prior to installing Norton the resident Sptybot Icon never disappeared from my desk top.

TeaTimer has to be disabled when uninstalling Spybot, or it wont uninstall.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#11 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

Okay Dokey,

I found it !

I unchecked the box resident TeaTimer .

Does that compromise my computer in any way ?? It seems to me that Spybot is the first off the stool to come out swinging if a bad guy is trying to get in my ring. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for your help !

Dennis :flowers:

Edited by Dennis H, 26 August 2006 - 08:34 PM.

#12 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

Unchecking it will prevent you from being informed if any registry items are added or deleted. You dont have to run it, but i do as i like to know just what is being altered. Now that you have unchecked it, you can check it again and you all those pop ups you were getting should now be gone, until you add or delete a programme again.

Always allow a change when you know you have just deleted or added a programme as it is normal. If you get a pop up out of the blue then it could be malware related and you can google the name of the item to see if its legit or not. I would keep it running if i were you.

Seeing as it never disapeared from your tray when you uninstalled Spybot, then you actually installed Norton with Tea-Timer still running on your system.But, it appears to be all ok and running so its nothing to worry about.

Hope this has helped!

:thumbsup:

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

I would leave it running, as it offers realtime protection against possible malware infections.
I do.

#14 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:03 AM

Thanks for the help.

I just activated Teatimer. The next time a window comes up I will drag it to the side and and then Google it.

Again, thanks for your time and patience !

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:42 AM

You're welcome, Dennis.
If you have any more questions, just ask. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users