Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Add Or Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 paul4592

paul4592

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:46 AM

I cannot get into the add or remove programs list at all everytime I try to get in I get the message that run dll as an app has a problem and must close. I am running windows xp with service pack 2 and this problem started about a month ago. all my other programs except this one work fine. I have tried reinstalling from my start up disk but it won't let me because the version I am running is better than the one on the disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

Run the setup from when you start the computer not while windows is running. Let it run through and when it looks for previous or other versions of windows it will give you an option to repair the current windows installation, do it. Note that you will have to re-install SP2 and all the updates that go with it.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#3 paul4592

paul4592
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

:thumbsup: I tried that but I must be doing something wrong because it goes right into the setup and bypasses the cd.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:42 AM

Enter BIOS setup by tapping Delete key or F1, F12..(it usually says which key right as the machine is starting, so watch closely) while your computer is booting up.
This BIOS feature allows you to select the first device from which the BIOS will attempt to load an operating system.
You will have to restart since it is now too late to enter BIOS, start tapping the appropriate key immediately.

Boot Config, is what you're looking for, and you can change device boot order here.
To install operating systems that come on bootable CD-ROMs (i.e. Microsoft Windows XP) in a new hard disk, you will need to select CDROM as the first boot device. This enables you to boot directly from the CD-ROM and load the operating system's installation routine.
Set CD as first boot device, followed by harddrive.

Exit, saving changes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 paul4592

paul4592
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

:thumbsup: success. thank you very much. hopefully I won't run into that problem again.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

Make sure you change your boot order back to the way it was once you have successfully installed the operting system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users