Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Make My Computer Turn On By Itself

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

Hi i just was wondering if its possible to program my computer to turn on at 3:00 AM at night and then open up Norton internet security 2006 (by itself) and run a norton full scan, then for it to save a log for me to read the next day, and then turn off... I was just wondering IF theres even a way i can do this, and if there is can someone please tell me step by step of how to do it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:05 AM

Just curious, why not just leave the computer on all night with your A/V programmed to run a scan at 3 am?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped, new avatar (a camel) :0)

• Members
  • 16,690 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

Yes it's possible - if your system hardware supports it. How to is a different matter (I've never tried to do it) - I'd suggest googling for "Wake On Lan" and "power resume" as a place to start.

There are different power saving states in your BIOS that also might permit this.
- John
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **

#4 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:15 PM

Just curious, why not just leave the computer on all night with your A/V programmed to run a scan at 3 am?

I dont like to leave my computer on all night my friend did the same thing and it fried his fan. I would like to the computer to trun on by itself to the time i tell it to...
ROOTKITS BAD!

#5 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

I would really appreciate it if any one could tell me step by spet of how to set my computer to turn on by itself.

THANK U!
ROOTKITS BAD!

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

Yes you modify the power switch or power on circuit to be in the on position all of the time and then you get a timer that is used to turn on and off electrical appliances and you are all set all you have to do is figure out how long it will take to update NIS and you will be all set. One thing else is you have to know electrical circuits and how to modify them especially the digital circuits on the mother board to have this done by a professional is about $70.. per/hour or more.

I think it is just easier to leave your computer run all night or better yet change the time NIS does its updates and do them while you are on line.

#7 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

Thanks, but i thought this could be easily done by just twicking windows xp, is there a way i can do it like that???
ROOTKITS BAD!

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,372 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:46 AM

Isn't there a way to kick Windows out of hibernation or stand-by allowing for the scan to complete? This does use more power than a complete shut down though but the fans are either off or operating at very low RPMs while it is in either state.
Posted Image

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 32,872 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

If the concern is to avoid keeping the computer on all night, is there an inverse solution? What I mean is: can it be set so that the computer will shut down after the AV scan is completed?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

If the concern is to avoid keeping the computer on all night, is there an inverse solution? What I mean is: can it be set so that the computer will shut down after the AV scan is completed?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

ya thats a good idea, but the only thing i want to know is if i can turn off my computer like around 7:00 pm say then it turns on at 3:00am and does a norton full scan then saves a log an turns off, so the next day i can read the log and make sure my computer is clean.

this is the thing i would like to do... and is there a way i can tweak windows and the bios to do this?? if there is a way to tweak windows and stuff like that to make it happen can someone tell me how?

Edited by zemoman, 24 August 2006 - 12:26 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

I know what you want to do but the thing is how do you get the computer to automatically turn on if it is off. If the computer is off it is dead and can not respond. There is a way to do it but it is too expensive and you need the programming skills to make a program that will do what you want.

If you want to update Norton just do it when you are taking a shower or when you are watching your favorite movie on the tube. This way problem solved.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 25,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

I guess my question is why does it have to be 3 a.m.? Why not do the scan as the last thing before you finish for the night. Norton has an option or at least used to, to shut down after scanning. The idea that you have that computers magically turn themselves on that are not connected to a managed network will not work without some serious money, and modifications involved. If it is just to turn it on for an AV scan, it's not worth the expenditure.

Be (Wakey Wakey) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

ok the only reason i made this post is because i thought it would be easy to do this, i though
this could easily be done by just tweaking norton and some regkeys, but now that i know its a hard prosses and will cost money im not going to dio it.. but thanks for all you help. .

If you want to update Norton just do it when you are taking a shower or when you are watching your favorite movie on the tube. This way problem solved.

im usually using my computr for alot of things and i dont like to waste time doing scan but u know it has to be done if you dont want your identity gone :thumbsup:

THANK YOU ALL!

Edited by zemoman, 24 August 2006 - 07:41 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

#14 metallifan9

metallifan9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

The mobo that i currently have has an option in the bios to power on at a specific time, ... all you would have to do is make a batch file to run norton, maybe set it up to auto scan when open, and then have it shut down after complete.. that is, if those options are available in norton. :thumbsup: I, personally, dont use anything.

#15 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:48 PM

good idea thnxs. ill norton and tell em how to do that...
ROOTKITS BAD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users