Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Use Rkunhooker?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ariko

ariko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

I deleted mssyn2020 under my username (with admin rights) in safe mode. but i'm
still getting the blue screen referencing the file "mssync20.sys". so i'm thinking of using
RKunhooker but i couldn't find any removal instructions along with it.
does anyone have a RKunhooker "how to use" guide with
preliminary steps to follow (if any) so to ensure the removal of mssync20.sys is successful?

note that I wasn't able to do all the steps in the "Preparation Guide for use before posting a
HijackThis Log." cuz when using those online scanners, they just
stop in the middle and then im presented with the blue screen error log. it has
happen too many times. that i would like to spare the effort of being patient for the
scan to take its time to complete, and then see that effort go to waste, so i would
rather go right into eliminating the culprit file which i have identified already, hence,
no need to run the online scanners at this point, and i doubt they can detect this
rootkit at all. can they?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

If you can't finish an online scan for some reason then skip that part and complete as many other scans in the Prep Guide as you can.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. Please be patient. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 Cd-MaN

Cd-MaN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

You should avoid using RkUnhooker! It is written by an individual who (most probably) is participating in illegal activities like DDoS-ing and by running it you are giving him system-wide access! You can get more facts about RkUnhooker over at my blog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users