Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Lock The Keyboard? (and Unlock)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:23 PM

My friend, while playing WOW, said he was hitting the shift key multiple times and after that the keyboard locked up.

Now when any button is pressed the computer makes a beep sound and does nothing.

There is also an onscreen keyboard which can be used with the mouse.

What I'm asking is if there is a way to Lock the Keyboard similar to locking a cell phone and How to unlock the keyboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

If he hit the shift key repeatedly perhaps he has turned on sticky keys? Hit the shift key 5 times to get to the sticky keys controls.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

If he hit the shift key repeatedly perhaps he has turned on sticky keys? Hit the shift key 5 times to get to the sticky keys controls.

What can you use sticky keys to do?

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

StickyKeys is an accessibility feature designed for people who have difficulty holding down two or more keys at a time. When a shortcut requires a key combination such as CTRL+P, StickyKeys will enable you to press one key at a time instead of pressing them simultaneously

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/w...stickykeys.aspx
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

now that the keyboard is not functioning there is an on-screen keyboard that is used to type. i am actually using that to type this post and it sucks. this keyboard appeared after the physical one stopped working.
btw this is a ps2 port so maybe a usb keyboard will work

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,310 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:59 PM

Hang on megalo:

I'll get back to you on this at some point tomorrow. I have to get home and explore my computer some, but I know I've seen how to fix this. The keyboard on screen is an accessibility feature, and there is a way of turning that off and turning the regular keyboard back on. The port has nothing to do with it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

From Windows "Help"

On-Screen Keyboard overviewOn-Screen Keyboard is a utility that displays a virtual keyboard on the screen and allows users with mobility impairments to type data using a pointing device or joystick. On-Screen Keyboard is intended to provide a minimum level of functionality for users with mobility impairments.

On-Screen Keyboard has three typing modes you can use to type data:

In clicking mode, you click the on-screen keys to type text.
In scanning mode, On-Screen Keyboard continually scans the keyboard and highlights areas where you can type keyboard characters by pressing a hot key or using a switch-input device.
In hovering mode, you use a mouse or joystick to point to a key for a predefined period of time, and the selected character is typed automatically.
In On-Screen Keyboard you can also:

View an enhanced keyboard that includes the numeric keypad, or a standard keyboard that does not include the numeric keypad.
Display the keyboard with the keys in the standard layout, or in a block layout in which the keys are arranged in rectangular blocks. Block layout is especially useful in scanning mode.
Display the U.S. standard keyboard (101 keys), the universal keyboard (102 keys), or a keyboard (106 keys) with additional Japanese language characters.
Use Click Sound to add an audible click when you select a key.
Use Always on Top to keep your keyboard displayed on your screen when you switch programs or windows.
Open On-Screen Keyboard.

Notes

To open On-Screen Keyboard, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Accessibility, and then click On-Screen Keyboard.
The program in which you want to type characters must be active while you are using On-Screen Keyboard.
Utility Manager enables users to check an Accessibility program's status and start or stop an Accessibility program. Users with administrator-level access can designate to have the program start when Utility Manager starts. Users can also start Accessibility programs before logging on to the computer on by pressing the Windows logo key () + U at the Welcome to Windows dialog box that appears when Windows starts.
The accessibility tools that ship with Windows are intended to provide a minimum level of functionality for users with special needs. Most users with disabilities will need utility programs with more advanced functionality for daily use. For information about accessibility products and aids for Windows operating systems, see the accessibility page (go to http://www.microsoft.com/ and search for "accessibility") on the Microsoft Web site.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/

You should be able to shut off the onscreen keyboard by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,310 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:35 AM

Wow Enthusiast! Thanks for the info. I just tried out the suggestion below, and yes it does work. You simply click on the X just like you are closing a window, and your keyboard will be back to normal function.

You should be able to shut off the onscreen keyboard by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner.

Now to keep this from happening in the future - unless anyone using the computer needs that feature:

Click on Start then control panel then accessibility options. Now click on accessibility options again in the new window that replaces the control panel. I have it boxed in pink in the picture below.

Posted Image

{If you click on keyboard which I have boxed in green that will just call up the on-screen keyboard again which you don't want to do, but if ever you have anyone that needs it you'll know how to call it up.}

Now, you'll have a smaller window. Click on the Keyboard tab, then remove the green check in the box by use sticky keys by clicking on the box. I have it boxed in pink in the picture below. Then click on the okay button at the bottom near the left. This will prevent a repeat episode. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

Actually, it was filter-keys.

my friend must have held the right shift button for 8 seconds while typing in WOW which would bring up a confirmation message similar to the sticky-keys one.

But he mistakenly hit okay or yes which turned on filter-keys and then the onscreen keyboard appeared.

Only, I don't know why filterkeys would do such a thing as prevent the keyboard from being used, but it did.

Thanks a lot though, everybody, for all the help that was given.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

It's actually a good idea to turn "Toggle Keys" on.

That way you hear a beep when you accidently press the capslock, the scroll lock and the num lock keys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users