Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound In Browser Window!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kaemic

Kaemic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi, recently my computer doesn't play any sounds from my webbrowser (Firefox 1.5) altough my winamp and games works.
I've been looking around, but haven't found anything missing or the like.

Hope that someone can tell me what to do, I can't even hear anything when playing videos.

I didn't really know where to put it, sorry if it caused any trouble.

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Kaemic, 11 August 2006 - 02:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

Try internet explorer. If you get sound, then firefox needs additional plugins, if you do not get sound in Internet Explorer, determine what plugin is needed for the sound in web pages and update it. (It could be something like Shockwave, Flash or Java.)

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,564 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

I seriously doubt that the problem lies with Firefox, especially since you can't hear videos. Do you see a little speaker icon in your system tray?

I have it circled in green here:
Posted Image

If you can't see it, click on the little arrow just to the left of the system tray as it may be hidden. I have it boxed in red here with a thin green arrow pointing to it.

Posted Image

Right click on the icon. You will see a little menu like this:

Posted Image

Click on "Open Volume Control" which I have boxed in green.

This will call up the Volume Control Panel which looks something like this:

Posted Image

Since you can't hear videos, and I suspect CD's, I think that at the very least, CD player is set to very low volume or muted. I have the CD column header boxed in pink as well as the mute button. If there is a green check in it, it is muted. Click on the little box to remove the check mark. Also look at the level of the switch which I have boxed in turquoise. If it is down at the bottom, this function is essentially mute. If this is the case, bring it up to at least the middle.

I have the main volume control header boxed in green. Check to see if the mute all box at the bottom has a check in it. I don't think it does, since you are able to hear winamp and games, but check anyway.

In order to see all the different volume control columns, click on options, then properties.

I have the options button boxed in orange and the properties button boxed in turquoise:

Posted Image

You will see a menu/window that looks something like this:

Posted Image

Make sure that 'Playback' at the top has a green dot in the white circle by it. I have it boxed in orange.

In the white screen you will see all the options for viewing in the main panel. The ones with green checks are the ones that are visible in the control panel picture above. For example: CD player which I have put a little pink line by. Now I'm going to put a check in the little green box by Aux (I have an orange line to the right of that option.) by clicking on that box. Then I will click on okay. The menu/window will now go away, and the control panel will be fully visible. This is what it looks like now:

Posted Image

I have the previously not shown Aux option boxed in pink. You will notice that the mute button has a green check in it, so any auxilliary devices won't produce sound.

Now you will have to experiment to see just which of all the options you have need to be un-muted so you can hear your stuff. Perhaps the best option is to un-mute all of them and see if you can hear your stuff. Then if you want to have some fun, mute an option and see what effect it has on any of your applications. :thumbsup:

I hope this helps, and I also hope it is simply the volume control that is causing your difficulties.

Let us know if it works or not.

Good luck,

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 August 2006 - 03:22 AM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:02 AM

Thanks Orange Blossom, your guide helped ALOT! Seems my aux was turned off :S

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,564 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:04 AM

You're welcome and :thumbsup: I take it you have your sound back?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

Yup, it's all back.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,564 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Great! :thumbsup: I'm glad it was something simple.

Orange Blossom

#8 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

Oh darn!

All worked fine until turned on my computer this morning, the settings are all the same as before and i've tried to go through your guide again and again.

Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm also having troubles with the game "Dragonshard", I can't hear any sound effects, but I can hear the characters speak in cutscenes and the narrators instructions, maybe it's connected somehow?

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,564 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:03 AM

Okay:

I'm going to ask a series of questions to see if we can't narrow down what the problem is.

1) The games that you are not hearing all the parts of: are these games you are playing through the browser or are these games installed on your computer?

2) Is it possible that you have shut off some sound options within the game itself? I know that the Scrabble game on the computers in the resource room have the options to shut off music and sound effects separately.

3) Does the problem occur in Internet Explorer as well? Though I doubt that a plug-in is the answer, there may be some issues with the browser itself.

4) If you put a video in your drive, can you hear it?

5) When on the internet, what specific kinds of files are you not hearing? What program is needed to play them?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 August 2006 - 02:27 PM.

Orange Blossom

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

Do you have a seperate audio card or is the sound an on-board adapter?

Do you have a sound effects icon in your system tray?

Have you updated your DirectX runtime recently?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#11 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

Blossom:

1) I'm not getting any sound in browser games (Flash, java etc.) (Although I don't get any sound in the PC game "Dragonshard" either, but I think it's a problem with the patch

2) I haven't shut anything off at all in my settings, I've just played the games.

3) The problem also appears in IE, exactly the same.

4) I can play music, videos etc on my pc, it's only files in my browser that doesn't play any sound.

5) Mostly anything involving my macromedia flashplayer such as .swf files, WMA files run as they are supposed to, I can't hear things as www.leekspin.com and most ads involving sound and animations

Enthusiast:

I have a seperate audiocard (Creative soundblaster audigy)

I don't have a sound-effects icon in my system tray, I've tried various methods of getting it back (I went as far as rewriting some windows scripts!) but I can't get it showing :thumbsup:

Yes, My directX runtime should be up to date unless someone has been developing DX 10 ;)

#12 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

are you absolutely sure that your flash, shockwave etc (even Java) is updated?

#13 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:59 AM

I'm ABSOLUTELY(!!) sure that my applications are 100% up to date.

I even re-installed flash, macromedia shockwave and java.

Edited by Kaemic, 28 August 2006 - 01:00 AM.

#14 bloomy

bloomy

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:33 AM

i have the same problem, everything was fine but when i started my comp.the other day i couldn't hear sond on myspace, youtube etc. but i hear music when played on windows media player. i checked volume and things that Orange blossom wrote about and nothing's wrong. i re instelled java as i have totally no idea what to do next!

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

bloomy,
If you have a problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help two or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
This is also known as hijacking a thread, which is not considered to be proper forum etiquette.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users