Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Fat32 To Ntfs Windows Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scotty38

scotty38

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:25 PM

I have just noticed that my mums pc is running FAT32 instead of NTFS on Windows XP Pro i am sure i have read some ware that you can change this if it is possible can anyone tell me how to do it

thanks in advance

scotty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition). If you do not need to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is recommended that you format the partition with NTFS rather than convert from FAT or FAT32. Formatting a partition erases all data on the partition and allows you to start with a clean drive.
Whether a partition is formatted with NTFS or converted using the convert command, NTFS is the better choice of file system. For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER.

In order to maintain access control on files and folders and support limited accounts, you must use NTFS. If you use FAT32, all users will have access to all files on your hard drive, regardless of their account type (administrator, limited, or standard.)
NTFS is the file system that works best with large disks. (The next best file system for large disks is FAT32.)
There is one situation in which you might want to choose FAT or FAT32 as your file system. If it is necessary to have a computer that will sometimes run an earlier version of Windows and other times run Windows XP, you will need to have a FAT or FAT32 partition as the primary (or startup) partition on the hard disk. Most earlier versions of Windows cannot access a partition if it uses the latest version of NTFS. The two exceptions are Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 or later. Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4 or later has access to partitions with the latest version of NTFS, but with some limitations: It cannot access files that have been stored using NTFS features that did not exist when Windows NT 4.0 was released.

For anything other than a situation with multiple operating systems, however, the recommended file system is NTFS.

Important

Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data including programs and personal files on the partition.
-from Windows XP help.

#3 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the fast reply it is a one user pc with only the XP operating system and i made the mistake of using FAT32 about 2 years back when i did not have a clue about computers back then i was amazed i managed to instal XP in the first place but now i have been studying computers i'm a bit more clued up and know it should be NTFS i will sort it out in the morning as i'm off to bed now

thanks again for the reply

scotty

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

NTFS will give you many more options and a lot more control.

#5 scotty38

scotty38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

All sorted now thanks for the hellp

scotty

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast