Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horse Downloader.generic2.bvd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blackxs

blackxs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

Hi, i'm using avg anti-virus. Recently when i opened my internet explorer i got a message from avg anti-virus like this "while opening file: c:\program files\internet explorer\lock.exe
trojan horse downloader.Generic2.BVD

So i click the "heal" button and it said "successfully healed". However, it is still coming back. What should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,036 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:29 PM

Did you try your AVG scan in "SAFE MODE"?

Also, if your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0 in "SAFE MODE" as well.
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Edited by quietman7, 17 July 2006 - 01:31 PM.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 blackxs

blackxs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

I'm using WinMe. So i try AVG scan in "safe mode" and it said i need to restart my pc to complete "healed successfully". So i did that and i still got the same message "while opening file: c:\program files\internet explorer\lock.exe
trojan horse downloader.Generic2.BVD" everytime i opened my internet explorer.

All the infected files were stored in AVG's "Virus Vault" and it's growing in number. I think these files are backup copies. Can i empty the "virus vault"?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,036 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

You can empty the vault but that may not solve the problem since the file keeps returning.

lock.exe is effectively cleaned with ewido but there may be other files in the same folder as well. Below is an example from an ewido log report.

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\loader.exe -> Downloader.Agent.akj : Cleaned with backup
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\lock.exe -> Downloader.Delf.ang : Cleaned with backup
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\update.exe -> Adware.BHO : Cleaned with backup

Since you can't use Ewido on ME, try the following online scans. According to a Panda log I found, it should disinfect lock.exe.
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan

Are you having any other problems with your computer? I am finding this file in various logs with smitfraud infections.

If the online scans don't work, then download and scan with Sysclean Package.
1. Create a new folder on drive "C:\" ("C:\New Folder") and rename it Sysclean.
2. Place the sysclean.com inside that folder.
3. Then download the latest Virus Pattern Files (lptXXX.zip).
4. Extract the lptXXX.zip pattern file into the same folder you created for sysclean.com.
5. Close all open applications and DISABLE your current anti-virus software. Some anti-virus programs such as Avast will alert you to a virus attack when running sysclean so it's best to disable them first.
6. Reboot into "SAFE MODE".
7. Open the Sysclean folder and double-click on sysclean.com to run.
8. It will take some time to complete. Be patient and let it clean whatever it finds.
9. Exit when done and re-enable your anti-virus program.

Note: This tool generates a log file (sysclean.log) in the same folder where the scan is completed. When using Sysclean its best to use the Administrator's account or an account with Administrative rights otherwise you will not have the rights to scan some locations resulting in Access is denied log entries.

#5 blackxs

blackxs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 06:22 AM

Hi
I did everything u asked me to do but i still got the "while opening file: c:\program files\internet explorer\lock.exe
trojan horse downloader.Generic2.BVD''

I download and scan with Sysclean Package. It did deleted some of the infected files but not all.

So, i scan again using AVG anti-virus and found 2 files that was infected by trojan horse downloader.Generic2.BVD which were stored in:
C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000012.CPY
C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000020.CPY

It cannot be healed or deleted.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 32,036 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:41 AM

Its time to have a deeper look as to what's going on with your system by creating a hijackthis log. This will help us to identify and remove any malware files that may be responsible for your problems.

Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post the log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log here.

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files on your own, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modification you make may complicate the malware removal process and could lead to your system being damaged further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users