Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Minimized Window Disappears Completely

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Davide

Davide

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:51 AM

For several days I've had this problem: When I minimize a window to un-clutter my 15-in screen (being careful to click on the correct upper-right tiny box), the window disappears completely, as if I had X-ed it out.
When I asked AOL Help, they live-chatted about an "artwork database" but gave me very incomplete advice.

I'd like to be able to restore a window I've minimized, but there's no sign of it at the bottom of my screen. What to do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• BC Advisor
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:12 PM

Davide: Please see the Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers from www.kellys-korner-xp.com.

Question: Why aren't minimized programs listed in the Taskbar?

Download and run the edit on line 240.

Programs Aren't Minimized in the Taskbar (Line 240)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Note: Do not reboot or logoff. Once the edit is merged, right click the Notification Area/Task Manager/Processes. Highlight Explorer.exe, End Process. Leave the Task Manager open. Once the process has ended, choose File/New Task and type in: Explorer.exe.

Let us know if that fixed your issue.

Hope that helps.
JC

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

You also may have inadvertently dragged your taskbar below the bottom of your screen.

Pull your cursor as far to the bottom as you can, left click and drag upwards.
You may have to try this a few times to grab the taskbar.

#4 Davide

Davide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 05:56 AM

To JC:
When I clicked on Line 240 at kelley's corner, Microsoft Internet Explorer advised me not to run it because it doesn't have a valid digital signature, I think it said. What's your advice?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:35 AM

Run it.
Kellys-Korner is fine and can be completely trusted.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• BC Advisor
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

Davide:

Run it.
Kellys-Korner is fine and can be completely trusted.

Agreed. You can find many excellent fixes and tweaks on that site. They were many created by Kelly Theriot, with some help by Doug Knox, Bill James and David Candy. All respected Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals.

See this - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpexecsum
With that said, there are always disclaimers...here's one from the site:

Disclaimer: These registry edits and script files are presented "as is". Every effort has been made to ensure the files work as stated. I assume no responsibility for your use of these files.

Let us know.
JC

#7 donec

donec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

Hi everyone I was researching the problem of minimized windows disappearing on Yahoo and found your forum and thought I would pass on my findings. When it happen to me I found that I could get the windows back by using Alt+Tab. Then you can cycle through all the windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users