Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message Opening Pdf Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 counselor68

counselor68

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:07 PM

I'm getting an error message when trying to open certain ( not all) pdf files on web sites.
The file path shown is c:\ .. . . . . . .user XXXXX\local settings\temporary Internet files\content\IE\ {series of letters and numerals} {1}.pdf
Invalid menu handle.

Anyone able to interpret this? :thumbsup: I have Adobe Reader v. 7 installed and enabled. I have run three AV programs to try and clean out the trash, and the system seems clean. I've also run check disc, and Sytsem Mechanic registry scan. I had a bunch of stuff in the registry which I dumped. Could I have inadvertantly dumped a registry file that needed?

Edited by jgweed, 11 July 2006 - 04:26 PM.

Counselor68
Louisiana, USA

[color=#99FF99]sysinfo: .shopbuilt Pentium IV 1.7ghz 700, 512 ram. Windows xp home ed. SP2 Computer Assoc. AV (EZ) ZoneAlarm, Adaware, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender ( Beta). Use OpenOffice suite, IE and Opera.[/color]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:13 PM

I had a bunch of stuff in the registry which I dumped. Could I have inadvertantly dumped a registry file that needed?

Yes you just might have, did you backup the registry before you started dumping?

here is a good registry backup program.

ERUNT = http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I really hope you have the Windows install software and your legal COA = key code

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:46 AM

Before you start reinstalling Windows or getting into registry edits go to Windows System Restore

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Start the wizard and choose a date from before you started deleting registry entries.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:50 AM

That somewhat convoluted error message looks like Adobe Reader is having a font issue.
A simple uninstall and re-install of Reader may be all that's needed.

#5 counselor68

counselor68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

:thumbsup: :flowers: Thanks Guys for the advice' I will take it under advisement :inlove:

I had tried the System Restore before i wrote the post.

I have a feeling that my system is very unstable at the moment. Programs are either not opening immediately, as they usually do, or, in some cases, open in "pieces". Once open, everything seems to work well enough.

I am considering, because of this. a reformat of my HDD. I know that's drastic, but I'm convinced that something is wrong. This outfit should be blazingly fast; I should not have to sit and wait even 15 seconds for something to open! Right? :cool:

I have a class to teach this afternoon, so I may get to some of these suggestions tonight. Keep your fingers crossed; I have 16 newbies in a computer lab, some of whom have never touched a PC before!
Am I crazy, senile or what? :trumpet:
Counselor68
Louisiana, USA

[color=#99FF99]sysinfo: .shopbuilt Pentium IV 1.7ghz 700, 512 ram. Windows xp home ed. SP2 Computer Assoc. AV (EZ) ZoneAlarm, Adaware, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender ( Beta). Use OpenOffice suite, IE and Opera.[/color]

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

Try going to safe mode and use last known good configuration,

That's worth a try before you reformat and reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users