Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Computer From Keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dake

dake

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:55 AM

windows 2000, sp 4
-Is there a way to start my computer using the keyboard? I'd rather not bend down to press the button on the machine. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:17 PM

Well, the only way I know of is to hold the left side of the keyboard in left hand and use right hand to guide bottom right hand corner of keyboard to press against start button. Forgive me, I just couldn't resist.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

If you'd rather not bend down to turn your computer on...... why not put it a bit higher, like on a table! :thumbsup:
Well..... you did leave yourself open to these sort of comments. lol

Edited by Starbuck, 06 July 2006 - 05:29 PM.

unite1.png

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:58 PM

www.pcremotecontrol.com/info.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,470 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

Nice one buddy215
but it seems to do everything except switch your pc on.

unite1.png

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,557 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

Starbuck, you are right. As usual. So much for reading the first paragraph of that site. It said works just like the remote on your TV. But you know, putting the computer on the floor is not good as far as keeping it clean and it is very inconvenient for making wiring changes or using the CD or floppy hardware. Dake, could you use a big toe instead?

Lawrence M. Krauss

#7 donevergreen

donevergreen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:16 AM

Check your motherboard manual -- as always, RTFM!

#8 ntx

ntx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 01:35 PM

On my Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 in BIOS I found boot on password enter - simply type key sequence and computer is switches on!

Edited by ntx, 16 July 2006 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,470 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

But just think...... when your pc is off, your keyboard doesn't work!!!!
Think about it!!! :thumbsup:

unite1.png

#10 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:11 PM

But just think...... when your pc is off, your keyboard doesn't work!!!!
Think about it!!! :thumbsup:

thats what i was thinking =\

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

You can set it to standby and use the keyboard to wake it up.

Power Options overviewUsing Power Options in Control Panel, you can reduce the power consumption of any number of your computer devices or of your entire system. You do this by choosing a power scheme, which is a collection of settings that manages the power usage by your computer. You can create your own power schemes or use the ones provided with Windows.

You can also adjust the individual settings in a power scheme. For example, depending on your hardware, you can:

Turn off your monitor and hard disks automatically to save power.
Put the computer on standby when it is idle. While on standby, your entire computer switches to a low-power state where devices, such as the monitor and hard disks, turn off and your computer uses less power. When you want to use the computer again, it comes out of standby quickly, and your desktop is restored exactly as you left it.

Because Standby does not save your desktop state to disk, a power failure while on Standby can cause you to lose unsaved information, but a uninterruptable power supply (UPS) is always recommended to prevent your computer from becoming damaged if the electric goes out or there is a power surge (even while you're sitting at the computer) as can happen even if there is no lightening - the power company cause it just by switching generators which they all do from time to time.

Most UPS devices come with software to automatically shut down your computer, monitor and broadband modem after the period off time you set it to. You can often get one on sale adaquate for the average computer for less than $50. Very cheap insurance!

To use Windows Power Options, you must have a computer that is set up by the manufacturer to support these features. For more information, see the documentation that came with your computer or go to your control panel and click on the power options icon and examine the choices you can make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users