Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Log Into Certain Websites, Please Help....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 asisoid

asisoid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:48 AM

I have a new Dell laptop with WinXP. When I try to log into websites (such as eBay) nothing happens. I use the correct username/password, but it just takes me back to the exact same page. This happens when I try to enter any kind of forums where you need to log in, eBay, etc. If I would try to log into this website in order to post from my laptop, it wouldn't let me.
I don't know a whole lot of the tech side of computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e-mail me or post here if you have any questions or can offer any advice.

Thank You!

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:30 AM

See if this helps:
Can't Access Secure Sites, Browser won't connect
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 asisoid

asisoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:35 AM

I tried the seven different things and none of them worked. I still have the exact asme problem. Anyone have any advice, or know where I could go to get advice?

Thanks

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

The link above that TQ1911 provided had some replies that may be useful to you. One was an outdated Norton was the reason not being able to access sites. One or more of your security programs may be responsible. What firewall(s),AV,etc. do you have installed on your comp.?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#5 asisoid

asisoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

I use McAfee securit I beleive...it is from September '05 when I bought my Laptop...I use the full package...firewall..etc. The problem is I can only post from work since I cannot log in to post on these boards from the laptop...

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

What exactly happens when you try to access the site?
Does the page not load?
Does it load, but you can't log in?
Do you get an error message?

Give as much information about what happens, as you can think of.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 5,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

Double check the clock settings--especially the year. Check cookie options--allow first party cookies. If this doesn't solve the problem and you have followed the other 7 items then I would, before going on the internet, turn off all elements of McAfee and enable windows firewall. If you are still unable to login, turn McAfee back on after disconnecting from net and turning off Windows firewall.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#8 asisoid

asisoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

Ill give the example of when I try to log into eBay...

I log in off of the main page ebay.com.

When i press "log in"...it loads to the exact same page...with the blank spaces for my username and password.
And for another site that i log into....metropolisshard.com (if it matters)....i will log in....press enter....then only the top part of the page loads....and it says

personal information: <my account name>

and that is it....then if i try to post or something it tells me I need to log in.....

Ive turned off all of my mcafee stuff and tried, but it didnt work. How do i enable/disable windows firewall? I don't know what that is.

Thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users